The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

cnorth 03-28-2015 07:32 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
WOW you are really a jack of all trades kinda guy, good to see some more progress

Gregski 03-28-2015 10:11 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7110078)
Could you get the front edge properly with it hanging in that orientation? I would have thought it would be easier to spin it 180 degrees.

Originally I had it hanging the other way, but the bungee cords kept rubbing against the front lip, so I flipped it upside down, I had to lay on my back on the ground and shoot the front of the hood that way, the entire operation was a major PIA I also had to squeez in on the sides to paint the sides of it

greg64 03-28-2015 11:05 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Aaah, that makes sense. Well hey, you got it done!

rusty76 03-29-2015 02:47 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Looks good man. I can't wait to see how the hood turns out. My hood is bent so bad it looks like a "U". Almost but not all the way...lol.

jb3t 03-29-2015 07:35 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Hope you don't get bugs in the paint. Should have draped mosquito netting over the ole swing set.

Gregski 03-29-2015 08:23 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jb3t (Post 7111441)
Hope you don't get bugs in the paint. Should have draped mosquito netting over the ole swing set.

Ha, only one gnat landed on it, unlike the tailgate which I shot on the grass, that was a fly trap for sure, LOL

Gregski 03-29-2015 08:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7111083)
Looks good man. I can't wait to see how the hood turns out. My hood is bent so bad it looks like a "U". Almost but not all the way...lol.

Maybe this will give you an idea, here's how it all went down

I will share some more pics once it's on the truck and out of the garage

Gregski 03-29-2015 08:36 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
5 Attachment(s)
not sure you guys seen my other thread called Truck Won't Start No Sounds No Noises Nothing it's what has been keeping me busy and sleepless the last few days and nights

anywho since it deals with the ignition I will share some pics of me tearing up the steering column area so we can see what lurks beneath


Gregski 03-29-2015 08:46 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Ignition Switch
 
5 Attachment(s)
couple more shots of the ignition switch itself

on mine not all the blades are used, I'm sure yours will differ

rusty76 03-30-2015 05:13 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Could this been the problem with your truck not wanting to start the first go around? Little electrics are a pain in the butt aren't they.

Gregski 03-30-2015 07:05 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7112744)
Could this been the problem with your truck not wanting to start the first go around? Little electrics are a pain in the butt aren't they.

Actually no sir, the switch is fine, I was able to get the truck to turn over by manipulating it with a flat screw driver, you know sliding that black slider back and forth to simulate key movement

I think a broken Ignition Lock Cylinder is more like the culprit as the end part has broken into three pieces, it is that part that pushes on a metal rod which runs down the steering column down to the actual ignition switch, it's how they did back in the day, when Mechanical Solutions ruled the world

Titomars 03-30-2015 08:38 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7112880)
Actually no sir, the switch is fine, I was able to get the truck to turn over by manipulating it with a flat screw driver, you know sliding that black slider back and forth to simulate key movement

I think a broken Ignition Lock Cylinder is more like the culprit as the end part has broken into three pieces, it is that part that pushes on a metal rod which runs down the steering column down to the actual ignition switch, it's how they did back in the day, when Mechanical Solutions ruled the world

In your photo you are missing the outer case to that cylinder. It is still in the column I am assuming.

Gregski 03-30-2015 09:18 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7113067)
In your photo you are missing the outer case to that cylinder. It is still in the column I am assuming.

Damn you're good

Titomars 03-30-2015 09:35 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7113152)
Damn you're good

Looks like you got it all now. :)

y5mgisi 03-30-2015 10:38 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Hood turned out nice!

JacobSchni 03-30-2015 11:02 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
did the lock cylinder fix the problem? otherwise it could be a broken ignition rack or that plastic gear. (little more down the column)

Gregski 03-31-2015 12:29 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7113299)
Hood turned out nice!

Thank you

Gregski 03-31-2015 12:32 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobSchni (Post 7113346)
did the lock cylinder fix the problem? otherwise it could be a broken ignition rack or that plastic gear. (little more down the column)

good point, the cylinder was the big problem, but the gear was missing a tooth too, so I had to order one, once it comes in in a couple of days I can reassembly the whole thing, I do yap about it in that other Truck Won't Start No Sounds No Noises Nothing thread

here's a pic of that sector gear with one tooth missing

Chaplain 03-31-2015 12:54 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Oh my goodness.

Titomars 03-31-2015 01:00 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7113450)
good point, the cylinder was the big problem, but the gear was missing a tooth too, so I had to order one, once it comes in in a couple of days I can reassembly the whole thing, I do yap about it in that other Truck Won't Start No Sounds No Noises Nothing thread

here's a pic of that sector gear with one tooth missing

The sector gear probably took a hit from the lock cylinder falling apart. The parts got to go somewhere and plastic generally loses to metal ;)
By the way the hood turned out great!

JacobSchni 03-31-2015 02:01 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
for anyone wanting to see a in depth view of the steering column being taken apart:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=12525.0

Gregski 03-31-2015 02:19 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7113492)
The sector gear probably took a hit from the lock cylinder falling apart. The parts got to go somewhere and plastic generally loses to metal ;)

True

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7113492)
By the way the hood turned out great!

and thank you

Gregski 03-31-2015 02:26 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
found this page on the interwebs that explains what each wire does on the turn signal switch wiring harness ie the non ignition switch wires that run up the steering column

this isn't the exact part / plug match but the wires seem identical, so it might could help somebody out, I know it beats the wiring schematics for me anyways

white - stop lamp switch (what is that?)

green - right rear turn signal
yellow - left rear turn signal

purple - turn flasher (what is that?)

brown - hazard flasher

dark blue - right front turn signal
light blue - left front turn signal

black - horn

Gregski 03-31-2015 02:40 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
this shows what the pins on the ignition switch are, mine doesn't use all of them but the ones that it uses match

Gregski 03-31-2015 02:47 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Diagram of the two plugs the white one and the black one that plug in to the ignition switch and what they do


WHITE CONNECTOR

Pink - Start & Run (connect this to the ignition) ... Pink is ignition, pink is ignition, pink...

Purple - Start (connect this to the starter solenoid)... Purple is starter, purple is starter...

Red - This is the Battery connection bringing power into the switch. Red is usually power, red...

Brown - Accessory & Run (Accessories....)


BLACK CONNECTOR

Red - This is the Battery connection bringing power into the switch.

Orange - Run (connect this to power anything in the Run state) I also have a Dark Brown / White Stripe wire going here, not sure what it's for

Light Brown / Black Stripe - Start position switches this lead to ground


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2022 67-72chevytrucks.com