The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why I like drum brakes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=15533)

mikep 06-13-2002 11:41 PM

Why I like drum brakes

Ive thought about switching the 68 over to disks but then I look at my wifes car. Its got 4 wheel disks and I have to clean the brake dust off the wheels about once a week.

I have NEVER cleaned brake dust off my trucks wheels and it stops just the same.

Zumo 06-13-2002 11:45 PM

i was thinking the same. I'll just want 5 liug and I figure I switch to disk then. For now I just need to get a Power Booster so my right leg doesn't get twice the size of my left. :P

DennyB 06-13-2002 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zumo
i was thinking the same. I'll just want 5 liug and I figure I switch to disk then. For now I just need to get a Power Booster so my right leg doesn't get twice the size of my left. :P
Zumo,
Use both Feet:D

Mikep,
Disk Breaks are a big help when your breaks get hot.
IE: Hauling heavy loads or during heavy breaking, like in hilly country or at high speeds.

68 Suburban 06-14-2002 12:21 AM

Drum Brakes, get Kevlar shoes.

mikep 06-14-2002 12:24 AM

Ive got a 23 foot Sea Ray boat. I have absolutely no idea what it weighs but I have exactly 3/4 of a mile to drive to get it to the ocean. Havent had a problem yet.

bobs409 06-14-2002 06:25 AM

Drum brakes on 4 of 6 of my vehicles. They work good enough for me. Keep them clean and adjusted and you'll have no problems.

Zkast 06-14-2002 08:25 AM

One option for you, and this goes for any car on the road, is ceramic pads. They are nearly double the price of a regular pad but you wont have any noise or dust from them... I know this because its the only pad we use at the shop!

I did a test on my own vehicle once, a 94 Town & Country van of my wifes. Left side semi metalic, right side ceramic's and within 2000 miles her gold aluminum wheels had to be washed 4 times while the ceramic side was still clean. LOL this sounds like a commercial but when you do brake jobs as part of your daily job you start to find out which one causes less trouble...

Oh, one trade off for paying double the norma price? they usually last about 1.5 times longer than normal also.

tom hand 06-14-2002 08:45 AM

I was thinking of buying a stove, but my open fire cooks just fine. And who needs a telephone, I can send smoke signals while cooking. All these damn newfangled devices are whats wrong with this world. LOL :D

PanelDeland 06-14-2002 08:45 AM

If you go to disc brakes make sure you install some of the new dust covers.They fit between the hub and wheel and greatly reduce if not eliminate the brake dust problem.

crew70 06-14-2002 08:46 AM

3/4 ton with power drums and I love it.

Mike C 06-14-2002 09:13 AM

The reason they call them drum brakes is that's where you're supposed to put them, the rubbish drum! My 70's were terrible compared to my 3/4 ton 72 Sub. I swapped on discs after I had the truck for 6 days :D Actually nearly crashed on the way home with the donor truck on the trailer when some Stoopid A$$ Bee-otch in a Suburban passed me, cut over in front of me, and STOMPED on the brakes so she could turn into a parking lot! I pushed on the pedal and I think it sped up... Not really, but there is NO comparison. FYI, I have never had brake dust problems on either of my trucks and sure wouldn't consider THAT the reason to keep drums.

mikep 06-14-2002 11:51 AM

The only reason I brought it up is because I was driving home from work and a big 200 lb malamute came walking out into the highway in front of me. I had to slam the brakes on and pump the pedal to keep the tires from locking up meanwhile everything in the cab and the bed of the truck is flying forward. I went from 60 to 0 in maybe a second and a half. Theres nothing at all wrong with these brakes. Now to be fair I do have to mention that power assisted C20's have much better brakes than C10's and trying to compare the two is like comparing apples and oranges. I'd say the power assisted drums on a C20 probably stop as good as disks on a C10. At no point while driving this truck have I ever run into a situation where I thought " I could have stopped better back there if I had disks " and my wheels stay clean.

And yes, food cooked over an open fire does taste much better than food cooked with a stove.

71BBK10 06-14-2002 12:45 PM

wtf is a malamute?

68SWB4x4 06-14-2002 12:59 PM

top 10 reasons for drum brakes
10. friends never ask to borrow your "deathtrap"
9. saves me time from not having to clean my wheels
8. i like adjusting my shoes every weekend!
7. keeps you aware on montiounous roads.
6.makes me remember why i spent 200 dollars on a brushguard.
5. good excuse to get life insurance.
4. girlfriend never asks to borrow your "deathtrap"
3. its fun to see how fast people put their seatbelt on with a drum equiped truck!
2. you can keep a log of your "kill list" of new cars you've rearended.
1. it really complements your points distributor!
:bowtie:

crew70 06-14-2002 01:11 PM

my power drums on my 7000# crew work grait ! of corse I dont try to do a quick stop at 100 mph ether. ( tried to make a road doing 135mpg in a 72 lamans once , the brakes were junk after that) If you keep then in good shape there ok. disc is definetly better.