The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Questions from the new guy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=356668)

TXBowTie 08-07-2009 07:42 PM

Questions from the new guy

Hey guys. I just bought a '75 long bed C10, 2WD, Silverado and discovered this site while trying to figure out how best to approach my new project :)

I have found some pretty good info here, but would like to ask a few questions:

My truck doesn't have a sway bar. If I find a factory sway bar setup from a different 73-87, it will bolt right onto my '75, right?

My back bumper is pretty bent up, and has welded-on custom brackets. I think I have learned that any 73-87 fleetside bumper (with matching factory brackets) will bolt right on (but only early ones will match my front bumper), is this correct?

My Truck was originally a 454 (per the VIN), but now it has a 350. I noticed it has a TH400, and an over-sized radiator top bracket/ fan shroud. Are there other things "special" that I will run into when ordering parts, because this truck was originally a 454?

My two-tank bed is pretty beat up, if I swap it to a fleetside long bed from an 81-87 (with the square filler-cap doors) will it bolt right on? Will the body lines match? Are the only parts I need the bed, tailgate, and fuel tank filler tubs?

Thanks so much for your help guys, hopefully I will now enough to answer questions myself here in the future...

Wayne

N2TRUX 08-07-2009 08:15 PM

Re: Questions from the new guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBowTie (Post 3452610)
Hey guys. I just bought a '75 long bed C10, 2WD, Silverado and discovered this site while trying to figure out how best to approach my new project :)
Congratulations on the purchase AND finding the site.

I have found some pretty good info here, but would like to ask a few questions:

My truck doesn't have a sway bar. If I find a factory sway bar setup from a different 73-87, it will bolt right onto my '75, right?

Yes! And to take it a step further, you can look all the way to 91 on Burbs, and C-20/C-30's. What you will need to know is that the bushing clamp "stands" are rivited to the frame.

My back bumper is pretty bent up, and has welded-on custom brackets. I think I have learned that any 73-87 fleetside bumper (with matching factory brackets) will bolt right on (but only early ones will match my front bumper), is this correct?
Correct! Also Blazer/Burb bumpers are the same. The inner brackets from these trucks won't work but the outers will.

My Truck was originally a 454 (per the VIN), but now it has a 350. I noticed it has a TH400, and an over-sized radiator top bracket/ fan shroud. Are there other things "special" that I will run into when ordering parts, because this truck was originally a 454?
Those are the items that I know of for sure. There may be other's.

My two-tank bed is pretty beat up, if I swap it to a fleetside long bed from an 81-87 (with the square filler-cap doors) will it bolt right on? Will the body lines match? Are the only parts I need the bed, tailgate, and fuel tank filler tubs?
Correct! Body lines are the same, trim is different

Thanks so much for your help guys, hopefully I will now enough to answer questions myself here in the future...

Wayne

:)

old Rusty C10 08-07-2009 08:16 PM

Re: Questions from the new guy

the beds will interchange but you will need to change the fuel filler hoses. thats how i did my 76 which is basically the same truck