The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Floor Jacks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=514529)

hayhauler71 03-15-2012 09:30 PM

Floor Jacks

What kind of floor jacks are you people using. I need to replace my Sears Crapsman jacks that lasted a whole 2 years any suggestions would be great

PanelDeland 03-16-2012 09:30 AM

Re: Floor Jacks

I've got a full sized 3 ton cheapie from NT.I paid about $130 with a pair of jackstands(necessary with this jack).The first one I got leaked down.They replaced it and the new ones worked fine for about 4 years and still going.I wont get under anything without jackstands and so far so good.The new one has never leaked down and they had decent reveiws.Of course I don't use it daily,maybe once twice a month,if I was using it in a commercial shop,I would definitely upgrade.

cdowns 03-16-2012 10:18 AM

i've got a craftsman that is somewhere in the 15-20year old range and also a lightwheight loprofile aluminium jack from harbor frieght that is about 9-10years old that i use on loclearance vehicles

the way i've found to get a jack to last is to jackup vehicle and put on jackstands immediately// the longer you leave the jack loaded with weight the sooner the seals fail

vin63 03-16-2012 04:00 PM

I have an old Lincoln, and recently bought a Blue Point aluminum jack for lighter stuff. Today, I would go with a Milwaukee or US Jack.

NONHOG 03-19-2012 05:56 PM

Have you thought about rebuilding yours? Lots of write up on the web.
My Craftsman didn't last worth a darn either.

Tri5Nerd 03-19-2012 07:39 PM

Here's a good one with pictures. I'm going to try this on a old floor jack I have that won't hold pressure.
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51105

Tri5

ETsC10 03-20-2012 01:44 AM

I cheaped out on a HF with regrets. :(

Goes up a half inch at a time...or so it seems. Drops like a rock (waits 'til you aren't looking)
Very heavy and very hard to unlock, to lower it.

When my hands are being buggerly, I have to use a pipe wrench to release it.

Yes. Really.

Rolls and looks great!
Hope to someday watch it roll itself down the avenue. :lol::devil::lol:

I should have bought a used Snapon and rebuilt it.

Good Luck on whatever you chose!

ERASER5 03-21-2012 11:46 AM

I have an old Allied 3.5 Ton. Still works, but the let-off is rather sudden unless you strain your milk controlling the twist on the handle. After dropping my 3/4 ton truck on the disc, it was time to change.

My new 3.5 ton jack is the HB dubble pump unit. Fast and easy to use. Let-off is very controlled. I like it much better than the old one except for the width. This thing is WIDE! I had to set it just right to have it and 2 jack stands under my Crapolier on the same sub frame bar. $200.00, not real cheap, but not real expensive either.

I also have a couple of the small 2.5 ton units, one Craftsman, and one A-Zone one. I would not trust either to support a lawnmower for any length of time. They are good for rotating tires.

Palf70Step 03-21-2012 06:19 PM

I have 2 3 ton ones. One is a Craftsman that I have had about 10 years. Only issue was that plastic grip handle gave out last year and cheapie me has a dust tape version now.

The other 3 ton one is from Harbor Freight. So far no issues in 2-3 years I have had it.

I have 2 small 1.5 tons, one from sears ((given to me about a year ago. still new in box) and the other I forgot...I think I bought it in Japan (it's about 25 years old). The old one is in the truck all the time and has been used hard over the years, but keeps on tickin.

hayhauler71 03-21-2012 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I had to get something so i went with a 2 ton floor jack made from OTC it has a lifetime warranty and the repair center if I need one is 5 miles away paid $200.33 shipped to my door and weighs 43 pounds

W. Higgins 03-21-2012 10:12 PM

A little late to this but I love my Norco SUV jack:

http://www.hyjacks.net/Norco_2007_08.jpg

http://www.hyjacks.com/n_71300a.jpg

You can probably find better pricing if you shop around. That link was just handy. It will actually lift it's rated tonnage and the extra height is very helpful. Many of these regular jacks have such low lift now that the jack barely gets taller vehicles off the ground. In size and capacity it's built like a floor jack from the old days.

Maxxd07 03-21-2012 11:52 PM

Bought a cheap one, an ATD, about 5 or 6 years ago from the only "good" parts store left, and they said it will be great for the money and they were right(they usually are 99% of the time). Never had a problem with it yet and I love the "quick up" about it. About one to two pumps untill it finds resistance then it works like a normal jack. I never leave it supporting anything unless I have to swap a tire out on the wifes ride quick. I have seen too many lucky people walk away from jacks slipping or failing to push my luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

ETsC10 03-24-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayhauler71 (Post 5266879)
Well I had to get something so i went with a 2 ton floor jack made from OTC it has a lifetime warranty and the repair center if I need one is 5 miles away paid $200.33 shipped to my door and weighs 43 pounds

Good looking jack. Congrats!
What's the specs on it & have you tried it yet?

truckdude239 03-24-2012 08:36 PM

i bought a hf one been 4 years still going strong and it sat out doors for 2 of those years

hayhauler71 03-25-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETsC10 (Post 5272645)
Good looking jack. Congrats!
What's the specs on it & have you tried it yet?

Lifts 2 tons and weighs only 43 lbs! • Dual pump pistons – just five pumps gets you to maximum height of over 18 inches. • Meets ANSI PALD, Part 10, for safety and quality. • Low profile – 3-1/2 inches – makes it perfect for ground hugging, high performance cars. • Weighs just 43 pounds and includes side-mounted handles for quick and easy carrying. • Aircraft-grade billet aluminum provides strength with maximum weight savings. • Two-piece, 45" long handle snaps together for quick set up. • Removable, rubber saddle pad protects vehicle and prevents slipping. • Backed by OTC's Lifetime Marathon Warranty.® I have tried it and it works great very happy with it

MLB57 04-25-2012 03:54 PM

I have a 25 yr old snapon that is just getting close to replacing, seal leaking probably going back with otc i have one at my shop at work and seems to be holding up ok

duallyjams 04-25-2012 08:56 PM

I have a mac tool jack for well over 20yrs no problems still going strong my crapsman crapped out after a couple yrs and it's not rebuildable either and so far so good on my HF jack.

Torrey72 04-26-2012 12:22 AM

Harbor freight Jacks are to die for... or is that to die from?:lol::eek: