The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to tell outward difference in chevy 292 - 250 engine (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=516277)

Launchnet1 03-25-2012 05:21 PM

How to tell outward difference in chevy 292 - 250 engine

We have located what we think is a 292 6 cyl chevy engine and transmission. How can we determine if the engine is a 292? We also want a 400 transmission.

Are there any markings or way of knowing for sure that they are a 292 and 400?

Thanks
Matt

PanelDeland 03-25-2012 09:27 PM

Re: How to tell outward difference in chevy 292 - 250 engine

The 292 engine has the tall side(lifter) covers.They are 6 in tall,250,230 194 are 4 in.The fuel pump is behind the Motor mount on the pass side of a 292.

I'm not much help on tranny's.My B-I-L is a tranny guy so I don't have to mess with them.

Rooster's 67 03-25-2012 09:35 PM

Also if i recall there is space between the waterpump and the block deck on 292CI but not on the smaller I6 motors

pritch 03-25-2012 09:50 PM

To expand on what PanelDeland said, the motor mounts are off-set about 2 inches from each other. The pass side is further forward than the driver's side. As for the tranny's, I read some good advice here one time-a 350 tranny has more of a rectangle oil pan, while the 400's is shaped a little like Texas.

406 Q-ship 03-26-2012 12:05 PM

A TH400 has an irregular shaped pan and the vacuum modulator is located on the right side of the transmission pointing torward the passenger side of the trans. The TH350 has a almost square pan with a angled notch, the vacuum module points toward the rear of the vehicle on the right side. Powerglides have square pans. Here is a link to see...http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...tification.asp

john 03-26-2012 01:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
250-292 pics.

54blackhornet 03-26-2012 02:03 PM

Great photos of the two 6 cyl engines ! Can anyone explain the difference in PCV setups for the 292 ? Why does it have the additional breather tube off the valve cover going to the air cleaner ? Does the 292 have an issue with blow by ? On my 292 I am only using one PCV from back of cover to port on intake, I am using a breather/ cap on the front of valve cover like on a 250. with this setup I am noticing a small amount of oil seeping out around side covers and back of valve cover ? bolts are tight...any help would be great...:gmc2:

RichardJ 03-26-2012 08:55 PM

The breather cap on the valve cover is just a chunk of steel wool. Taking air from the air cleaner gives you cleaner air going into the crankcase. Steel wool only stops the big chunks.
During high load or WOT the PCV usually can't pull in all the blow-by, even on a perfectly health near new engine. The excess fumes go out the breather into the atmophere. When you have the connection to the air cleaner, the excess fumes go in above the carburetor and are consumed by the engine.

The later is called a Closed PCV System and is the only type of PCV System that has been legal for the last 50 years.

Check to see if you have a problem with your PCV valve. take the cap off and place the palm of your hand over the fill hole. You should feel a small amount of vacuum at idle. Pull the valve out and with the engine running put your finger over the hole in the valve. You should feel plenty of vacuum and you will hear the pindle snap to the wide open position. If you take it off, you should be able to blow air through it from the valve cover side, but not the vacuum source side. It should close up from that side if you have a back-fire in the carb or manifold.

The PCV valve is listed as a regular maintenance item on all cars. It is supposed to be cleaned or checked almost as often as you change your oil. NO one does and they get gummed up.

quest 02-27-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardJ (Post 5276909)
The breather cap on the valve cover is just a chunk of steel wool. Taking air from the air cleaner gives you cleaner air going into the crankcase. Steel wool only stops the big chunks.
During high load or WOT the PCV usually can't pull in all the blow-by, even on a perfectly health near new engine. The excess fumes go out the breather into the atmophere. When you have the connection to the air cleaner, the excess fumes go in above the carburetor and are consumed by the engine.

The later is called a Closed PCV System and is the only type of PCV System that has been legal for the last 50 years.

Check to see if you have a problem with your PCV valve. take the cap off and place the palm of your hand over the fill hole. You should feel a small amount of vacuum at idle. Pull the valve out and with the engine running put your finger over the hole in the valve. You should feel plenty of vacuum and you will hear the pindle snap to the wide open position. If you take it off, you should be able to blow air through it from the valve cover side, but not the vacuum source side. It should close up from that side if you have a back-fire in the carb or manifold.

The PCV valve is listed as a regular maintenance item on all cars. It is supposed to be cleaned or checked almost as often as you change your oil. NO one does and they get gummed up.

I am assuming that statement is unintentionally incorrect?