The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Where does every one have there wires hooked (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533798)

baller5040 07-14-2012 01:38 PM

Where does every one have there wires hooked

I am having a problem with my stereo lately. Been draining my battery ( i only know this because when i unhook my stereo and amp off the battery, it stays fully charged) I am looking for any ideas on how other people have ran the ground and constant and switched wires so it wont eat the battery. The same with the amp as well.

76stepsidechevy 07-14-2012 03:50 PM

Re: Where does every one have there wires hooked

how do you have it wired? Main amp power should be on its own fused wire straight from the battery, remote or switched wire off the stereo's "remote" wire and ground bolted to clean metal as close as possible to the amp. If that remote wires sees power all the time the amp will stay on and can kill your battery.

baller5040 07-14-2012 08:53 PM

I will have to take a look at the remote wire then. The stereo seems to have good connections. thank you for that idea. Anyone else with ideas?

odog 07-15-2012 09:11 PM

I think 76stepside is right, the remote wire should be the only thing turning your am on. When the key is off, the wire from the deck to the amp tells it to shut off. I just hooked mine up that way today, so lets hope I am right, I dont need a dead battery at 5 am.

OneOffStroker 07-16-2012 03:40 PM

It's definitely a remote wire problem. If you don't have a remote wire because you are running some super old stereo or 8-track or whatever, then you would have had to jumper your amp's battery terminal to the remote terminal to get it to ever turn on. If something similar to that is the case, then add a toggle switch to the remote wire and remember to shut it off when you're not in the vehicle.
When I was younger, all of my friends and I used to run toggles on our remote wires anyways. When we were bumping too loud and thought we would get pulled over, we could just hit the switch, thus turning off our amps and when the LEO would check out our cars and hear no bass, but still hear music, we got away every time. lol

baller5040 07-16-2012 06:12 PM

I think it was that as well i replaced the remote wire in case there might be damage to the other one which was causing the problem. Seems like its not draining the battery but its only been one day!

OneOffStroker 07-16-2012 08:41 PM

Well, a surefire way to know would be to look at your amp when the truck is all turned off. If the power light is still on, your battery will drain and die.

jimmydean 07-17-2012 12:46 PM

In my first car I used a discman as a head unit and ran a 12v rocker switch in the dash. Hit the switch, press play and I was rocking.

BR3W CITY 07-17-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOffStroker (Post 5489767)
Well, a surefire way to know would be to look at your amp when the truck is all turned off. If the power light is still on, your battery will drain and die.

My old zapco 2k monoblock didn't even have a power led :)

motornut 07-19-2012 12:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I still use a small switch
can be wired to the amp remote as well when needed
and one seperate for subs to turn them off,helps the batt recharge too

BR3W CITY 07-21-2012 12:58 PM

....thats one way of fitting it in there.

motornut 07-21-2012 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i think the PO used a hammer ....to din it
i just cleaned things up...to fit

up works no key
middle is off
bottom works with key

done this for years in many cars/trucks /vans

motornut 07-26-2012 11:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more stock looking in the 79 and i put the switch in the ashtray

RedSierra 07-29-2012 03:36 PM

Im new here and super happy I found this site. I Recently acquired a 1986 Red Sierra that was my dads company's work truck when I was a kid. It is in amazing condition and only has 55,000 original miles and runs great. Im trying to het power to my amp I want to install. It has the old Delco push in raido and I don't believe there is anyplace for the remote wire to go to out of the amp. So I think what I understand from these post is I need to run power to a switch and then run the remote line from the amp to that switch?
I want to bypass the stock stereo all together. Any help would be great!
Thanks

motornut 07-29-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSierra (Post 5511625)
Im new here and super happy I found this site. I Recently acquired a 1986 Red Sierra that was my dads company's work truck when I was a kid. It is in amazing condition and only has 55,000 original miles and runs great. Im trying to het power to my amp I want to install. It has the old Delco push in raido and I don't believe there is anyplace for the remote wire to go to out of the amp. So I think what I understand from these post is I need to run power to a switch and then run the remote line from the amp to that switch?
I want to bypass the stock stereo all together. Any help would be great!
Thanks

that should work for the trigger and radio
just not for the main amp power

not sure what you mean
"I want to bypass the stock stereo all together"

RedSierra 07-29-2012 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! I plan on running satellite radio and iPod directly to the amp.
Here is a pic of my truck!

motornut 07-30-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSierra (Post 5511816)
Thanks! I plan on running satellite radio and iPod directly to the amp.
Here is a pic of my truck!

oh ok ,nice
i'd run your own ground too
from what i've seen the one for the stock radio meets the rest behind the cluster
and then goes down to one ground wire

RedSierra 07-30-2012 07:34 PM

Thanks! Worked Perfectly!
RedSierra

RoughKuntry 03-21-2014 06:06 AM

That is how mine was set up. Only problem now is I cant hear anything from my 4 channel Boss 612ua deck. :/