The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Think i might have a problem with my heads. Help please! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=642037)

Jbarrkn493 09-03-2014 07:16 PM

Think i might have a problem with my heads. Help please!

1 Attachment(s)
Im replacing most of the top end and when i pulled off the intake manifold i saw several chunks missing off the driver side head, passenger side looks to be fine.. Is this a major problem or am i overreacting?

Jbarrkn493 09-03-2014 07:17 PM

Re: Think i might have a problem with my heads. Help please!

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a picture of the whole engine

68gmsee 09-03-2014 07:21 PM

Looks pretty rusted and pitted. Look for some better heads to rebuild. You can usually pick them up fairly cheap at a salvage yard. Or go to a machine rebuilding place. They usually have heads already rebuilt for sale.

franken 09-03-2014 07:25 PM

I wouldn't worry about the little corner right above the pushrod in the pic.

Jbarrkn493 09-03-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 6829043)
I wouldn't worry about the little corner right above the pushrod in the pic.

That's the placement of all the damage on that head, only on the inside near the oil valley, not on any of the ports.. Is this a problem I can deal with at a later date or would this some how mess up my engine further?

casper71 09-03-2014 07:44 PM

looks to be the casting from the factory. That is nothing to be concerned about

Captainfab 09-04-2014 12:57 AM

That little bit of casting chipped away isn't going to cause any problem at all. It isn't where it is going to cause a sealing issue.

Jbarrkn493 09-04-2014 01:06 AM

Thanks for all the input, I'll sleep happy knowing I don't have to replace my heads (just yet)

68gmsee 09-04-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbarrkn493 (Post 6829514)
Thanks for all the input, I'll sleep happy knowing I don't have to replace my heads (just yet)

In your first post, you mentioned you were replacing most of the top end. My assumption is that you were also going to rebuild or replace the heads. The chip itself is not the reason I recommended the head replacement but for the pitted look of the head surface. It may be that it's surface oil/grime but in my computer it looks like surface rust pits. A good machine shop will be able to let you know.

DBD 09-04-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainfab (Post 6829504)
that little bit of casting chipped away isn't going to cause any problem at all. It isn't where it is going to cause a sealing issue.

+1

truckdude239 09-04-2014 12:12 PM

just use a little rtv around the coolant ports and a 1/4 " bead at the ends

Jbarrkn493 09-04-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68gmsee (Post 6829708)
In your first post, you mentioned you were replacing most of the top end. My assumption is that you were also going to rebuild or replace the heads. The chip itself is not the reason I recommended the head replacement but for the pitted look of the head surface. It may be that it's surface oil/grime but in my computer it looks like surface rust pits. A good machine shop will be able to let you know.

No, I want to replace them with some aluminum heads, I just don't have the money right now for that, I misspoke when I said I was replacing most of the top end

GASoline71 09-04-2014 02:04 PM

How many miles does this engine have on it? If you bolt on new or even reconditioned heads with new seals and a 3A valve job... you'll suck oil past the rings making it an oil burner, and probably foul plugs.

A top end rebuild will affect your bottom end. Unless the engine has less than say, 100K on it. And I've see where even that can still cause some problems with burning oil.

Gary

Jbarrkn493 09-04-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 6829985)
How many miles does this engine have on it? If you bolt on new or even reconditioned heads with new seals and a 3A valve job... you'll suck oil past the rings making it an oil burner, and probably foul plugs.

A top end rebuild will affect your bottom end. Unless the engine has less than say, 100K on it. And I've see where even that can still cause some problems with burning oil.

Gary

I have no idea the milage on the motor, it's 350 sbc from a '75 chevy, dunno what model car, the engine suffix and partial vin on the engine have been inconclusive. Im fairly sure the motor has well over 100k on it, if I'm replacing from the intake manifold up I won't have a problem with it burning oil, will I? And good advice I'll take into account when I do get around to replacing the heads

Jbarrkn493 09-04-2014 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 6829985)

Gary

Heres a picture of the engine codes, maybe you could tell me what car this engine was in??.. Also it looks to me like the partial vin has been tampered with

GASoline71 09-04-2014 02:40 PM

1975... and with the amount of oil and crud on it... then it's probably got a lot of miles on it.

TYZ = 1975 350, conv.cab, L LS9, 165, 4, C-10 to 2500

Gary

Jbarrkn493 09-04-2014 03:00 PM

Thanks Gary!