The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   If you've ever had windshield replaced read this (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=673894)

speedygonzales 06-15-2015 10:33 AM

If you've ever had windshield replaced read this

Just wanted to alert others to a problem I learned the hard way.

Took my truck to my body shop who repainted the roof 2 years ago. The leading edge of the roof in the middle right at the windshield had rust showing underneath the paint.

He explained that when I had a new windshield installed some years back the tool that breaks the seal between the glass and the frame had scratched the paint under the windshield on the frame down to bare metal. Glass shops don't care and just slap in the new windshield with out doing anything to the bare metal. The rust then creeps out from under the glass to the surrounding metal.

He had a toyota just the week before that required new metal work under the windshield.

The work that I need is not terribly expensive $550 to remove the windshield, clean and paint the frame and the roof and that includes the price of a new windshield as they anticipate breaking the old one on removal. But it's still $550 I should not have to spend.

So be sure you have a low deductible on your insurance before you go in for glass removal.

stepsider 06-15-2015 11:00 AM

Re: If you've ever had windshield replaced read this

Sounds like you had A bad seal. A seal is suppose to keep water from getting underneath the seal. Maybe bad or cheap seal. Painter might have not sanded/ sealed window channel befor painting ??

hugger6933 06-15-2015 08:28 PM

Wow! I pay $150 for my windows installed. but then that does leave them $400 to paint it so I guess that is about right. Knowing there is rust work to do I do take back my Wow. Sometimes I see what people are quoted on some stuff and think if I did that at my body shop I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. But then i would have some money to buy me something to make me sleep:lol:

1badgmc 06-15-2015 09:16 PM

Luckily, my last windshield replacement on my truck was while it was still in the bodyshop.

lester622 06-16-2015 12:25 AM

They have a primer that they are suppose to paint on the bare metal spots created by their extractor. Some glass guys are butchers and most are just plain lazy. I have a friend who is a great glass guy and he is the only one I trust with my stuff.

I have seen a glass guys bust a big whole in the roof seam of a car with an extractor.

speedygonzales 06-16-2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepsider (Post 7210418)
Sounds like you had A bad seal. A seal is suppose to keep water from getting underneath the seal. Maybe bad or cheap seal. Painter might have not sanded/ sealed window channel befor painting ??

Nope the seal on the top was perfect. He stated no matter what the seal does, it's going to rust.

Tom 06-17-2015 05:56 PM

Move to AZ. Rust problems solved.

jjzepplin 06-17-2015 06:58 PM

RIGHT! You never see rust on cactus...:lol:

67swb72klb 06-17-2015 07:13 PM

That is all it takes even a chip in the paint in a area that gets wet...the rust starts creepn

Cabnchassis 06-20-2015 07:06 PM

I've worked in auto glass and have a close friend who owns an auto glass business. The original explanation given to Speedy is correct. The extractor often scratches the paint and lazy installers don't prime the scratches. If the window was done well the last time or hasnt been done a bunch of times it is a lot easier and usually leaves no scratches. End of the day it's a due diligence thing so if you don't trust your installer keep an eye on him or ask him to prime it anyway even if he doesn't think he scratched it. The trim covers the primer completely in most vehicles anyway.

tsmith 06-21-2015 12:55 PM

I own a auto glass co. in Oklahoma City, I do 88-98 trucks all the time. GM set us up for doom from the start, they put this strip of foam on the leading edge of the roof all it does is hold dirt and water, there are glass guys and those who think they are, you have to prime the windshield anyway or the glue doesn't stick to it because of the encapsulation. 2 out of 5 of them I do have never been touched and you pull the glass to find a rusty pinch weld. YES a shotty glass guy could make one leak and rust, I prime every one I do. I do it right the first time, that's the only way to expect to have return customers.
To some it up they all rust, I've done 2 in 9 yrs. that had no rust I primed them anyway

Sierra 1 06-22-2015 10:53 AM

My 1991 GMC Sierra got a new windshield form Safelite Of Birmingham, Ala. They came to my work location and I watched as the old was taken out (not broken} and the new replaced. Very professional and a great seal with no scratches..