The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   CPP Spindles?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=697476)

scoveny91 02-09-2016 06:57 PM

CPP Spindles??

I have a '57 3100 with a Helix IFS. I have been looking around at different brands of 2" drop spindles and have found that CPP seems to be the least expensive. Im wondering if anyone has used their stock height or drop spindles and if so, how is the quality? Should I be looking at a different brand?

57chevyman 02-09-2016 07:39 PM

Re: CPP Spindles??

1 Attachment(s)
this is the brand of drop spindles i got. very good quality.

scoveny91 02-09-2016 10:01 PM

i cant seem to find those spindles for a mustang II style suspension

_Ogre 02-10-2016 08:32 PM

unless your on air ride, i question the streetability of dropped spindles on a mustII
helix sells drop spindles for their kit

58SkuzBukit 02-10-2016 10:25 PM

I'm currently installing a helix air bag IFS kit in my 58. Cross member in, and I'll be notching the top hats and doing some welding tomorrow.

Are you trying to lay it all the way down? How tall are your tires on the front? From my measurements, I will get the front about 2" of the ground with a 28" tall tire.

I think Johnny Law motors has free shipping on their products that are over 99 bills. Their helix two inch DS are bout 125 or so.

tbrown5079 02-10-2016 10:33 PM

I used the CPP 2" dropped spindles on a 56 with a Gm clip and I am happy with the results. Good quality and very happy with the ride height. I liked the price too. Tbrown

scoveny91 02-10-2016 10:56 PM

well the problem is, I bought the truck with the helix clip already installed by the previous owner. They did some questionable things to say the least!! For some reason they modified helix kit. They cut the rack and pinon off and lowered it on the cross member becasue they didnt build the motor mounts for the LT1 so that the motor would clear the steering. i also think they may have a spring rate for an inline 6 instead of a V8.

To make a long story short, the front suspenion geometry is all out of wack. Last winter we fixed the motor mounts and put the rack back where it is supposed to be. But the suspension still sags due to what i believe is the wrong spring rate. I like how low the truck sits right now so i think 2 inch drop spindles will keep me at roughly the same height while also installing a set of single adjustable coilovers with the correct spring rate should put the geometry back to where its supposed to be.

58SkuzBukit 02-10-2016 11:18 PM

It sounds like you're getting it worked out without having to hack that CM out. I'd error on the side of caution and get the helix parts, you know they will allow the correct geometry with whatever springs you buy, just make sure the lower CA's are parallel to the ground at your ride height, and with the full weight.

Maybe those CPP spindles will work, hopefully someone will chime in.

scoveny91 02-11-2016 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58SkuzBukit (Post 7481765)
It sounds like you're getting it worked out without having to hack that CM out. I'd error on the side of caution and get the helix parts, you know they will allow the correct geometry with whatever springs you buy, just make sure the lower CA's are parallel to the ground at your ride height, and with the full weight.

Maybe those CPP spindles will work, hopefully someone will chime in.

I have a TCI 4 link coming friday. I upgraded the kit to the single adjustable ride tech coilovers. I plan to call ride tech to see which coilovers I need in the front to compliment the rears.

It might be safer just going with the Helix spindles. In theory they should work the best the Helix mustang II kit.

58SkuzBukit 02-11-2016 10:11 AM

I agree, stick with the brand of all the other main components. You know you won't have any issues.