The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   horn ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=702169)

PIG-TECH 03-26-2016 01:06 PM

horn ?

1 Attachment(s)
does anyone know what this screw is for? my horn does not work, i am getting about 5 volts at the horn and i got it to beep twice. i could easily buy a new horn but i like to keep the old look. and before i drill out the rivets and open it up, i thought i would ask

Stocker 03-26-2016 01:55 PM

Re: horn ?

Possibly an adjustment screw? I wouldn't worry about it just yet though. You should be getting 12v at the horn, not 5v. Make sure it's properly grounded (and that the core support is grounded also). Get 12v to the horn and it just might work. Another trick is to soak the inside with WD40, than shake it out and try it. But I'd see about getting 12v on that green wire first.

LockDoc 03-26-2016 04:18 PM

-
I agree with Stocker, 5 volts isn't going to do much on a horn. Run a wire directly from the battery to the contact on the horn and see what it does. That is an adjustment screw for fine tuning the sound.

LockDoc

PIG-TECH 03-26-2016 04:52 PM

thanks the WD40 worked

In The Ten Ring 03-26-2016 08:45 PM

Good thread here! I plan to put Cadillac horns on my truck and maybe a PA speaker.

Custom/20 03-26-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7536199)
-
I agree with Stocker, 5 volts isn't going to do much on a horn. Run a wire directly from the battery to the contact on the horn and see what it does. That is an adjustment screw for fine tuning the sound.

LockDoc

I'm definitely interested in that screw. Could you explain what it does? Is it a tone adjust or volume..? I'm not sure if my horn has it but if it does I wouldn't mind changing the tone.. sounds like a low note train horn.

LockDoc 03-26-2016 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Custom/20 (Post 7536607)
I'm definitely interested in that screw. Could you explain what it does? Is it a tone adjust or volume..? I'm not sure if my horn has it but if it does I wouldn't mind changing the tone.. sounds like a low note train horn.

Just the tone but as the tone changes it may change the volume some also. If you screw it in far enough the horn will stop honking. It adjusts the gap on the contact points.

Your problem may be because the horn is full of junk. Try blowing it out with an air hose. Make sure it is pointed away from you or you will get a face full of debris.

LockDoc

Custom/20 03-26-2016 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7536626)
Just the tone but as the tone changes it may change the volume some also. If you screw it in far enough the horn will stop honking. It adjusts the gap on the contact points.

Your problem may be because the horn is full of junk. Try blowing it out with an air hose. Make sure it is pointed away from you or you will get a face full of debris.

LockDoc

So I adjusted it out as much as I could without it starting to lose contact and becoming distorted and it is much louder(maybe even louder than a normal modern horn) and it sounds more like dual low/high horns. Just wish I had penetrating oil because that was a pain to get free without breaking it. It worked out well so now if someone sits at a green light they will finally hear me! :lol: