The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reproduction Grills (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=793907)

PaulKarbo 09-23-2019 07:44 PM

Reproduction Grills

This post probably comes up every few years but i would like to know what brand of reproduction grills have the best fit for the '71-72 outer grill? Typically when this topic comes up - 80% of the responses are that finding a "decent OEM" is the best bet, that is getting harder and harder, not to mention longer and longer to find.

From what i can find - the three main brands are Dynacorn, Triplus and Goodmark. Scouring these threads, I've found one positive note for Triplus, a neutral note about Dynacorn and not a word about Goodmark. I'm speaking mainly about the aluminum reproductions - most of the steel comments say that it looks nice after a hell of a time getting it to fit.

Am i over thinking this and they all fit basically the same? Is there one specific brand to stay away from?

Thank you
Paul

2 Stovebolts 09-23-2019 09:00 PM

Re: Reproduction Grills

Going to shift gears here from reproduction grilles to reproduction parts...This spring I picked up a real nice driver quality OEM grille for my 70.....Just couldn't wait to remove what was already on the truck.....Anyhow the truck has an original L/F fender and an aftermarket R/F fender. I struggled for quite some time to get that OEM grille to fit the A/M R/F fender, the bolt holes wouldn't line up so I had to elongate the holes and use a pry bar to stretch the fender & grille at the end there's approx 3/8 space between the grille & the fender...On the left side it fits & looks perfectly.....I guess the decision would render on 'driver quality' vs 'show' quality....My preference is OEM despite the flaws.....

VWNate1 09-23-2019 10:22 PM

I tried a " GM Heritage Part " and a good body shop that builds show trucks, gave up after a week of fooling with it trying to make it fit properly .

Reproduction body parts are always very hit or miss ~ I've seen quite a few that were great right out of the box but mostly they're crap .

Find a Vendor that stocks them near you and order one of each, return as necessary .

jeffahart 09-24-2019 12:13 AM

All that but also this. If I pull a fender off my truck, I have every expectation it will be a pain to fit back on. Same fender same truck. My truck holds so much spring loaded energy, I'm surprised it doesn't propel it's self down the road like a slinky. No matter what you get you might to have to massage it in there. Be prepared to exercise your patience. :smoke:

j

PaulKarbo 09-24-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8598422)
All that but also this. If I pull a fender off my truck, I have every expectation it will be a pain to fit back on. Same fender same truck. My truck holds so much spring loaded energy, I'm surprised it doesn't propel it's self down the road like a slinky. No matter what you get you might to have to massage it in there. Be prepared to exercise your patience. :smoke:

j

I totally figure it would be rare to find anything that “fits perfectly” when your dealing with ~50 yr old machines that have a mish-mosh of OEM and non OEM parts already. So as long as it’s not *impossible* to make it work - I should be happy.

The price of NOS is crazy (and that’s if you’re willing to wait for something to come up). ** heads up ... there is a NOS outer grill shell on eBay right now for $1100 (plus 350 shipping).
Posted via Mobile Device

69Tom 09-24-2019 04:35 PM

I haven't mounted mine yet, but I had to buy a brand new grille for my 70 C10. I wanted original, so I got the exact reproduction with Chevrolet across the center. It looks super nice/well made. Sorry I cannot attest to fit yet.

Got mine from AMD: http://www.autometaldirect.com/--p-19078.html

rcazwillis 09-24-2019 05:04 PM

We used a repop on Zane's 71. Fit was 'okay'. Quality of material was subpar. The aluminum was not much better than an aluminum can. You could manipulate it easily by hand.

rockyrivermark 09-24-2019 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased and installed a new grille for my ‘70 c10 from tri plus. Fit very nice and looks great 2 years in.
Mark

PaulKarbo 09-24-2019 07:15 PM

Wow - that does look sharp.

Sounds like Triplus is the way to go. The grille bought from AMD by 69Tom is a Triplus as well. Now to find a Triplus dealer on the west coast that doesn't charge as much as the grille cost for shipping!

Thank you for the comments!
Paul

Jonny Hotnuts 09-24-2019 11:48 PM

I just did an install with a new grille (*no letters) for my 70.

I had to modify it quite a bit to get it to fit; there is no free lunch with fit (or the +$400 price lol) I still need to tweak it a bit but its looking good.
Material quality is not as good as oem.

ITS SHARP (in a bad way). The inside edges are like razors! I cut the crap out of myself several times on this thing. It got so bad that I had to take a bastard file to it make it safe. The OEM grille shell is thicker and void of sharps.

I would try and find an original if I had to do it again but the POS re-pop CAN be made to work.

Mods I had to do:

File down inside edges (way to sharp)
Re-bend the angles where the center (plastic) section screws.
Grind down the inside edge on the LH side so it would slightly shift right. (too much material on the inside LH side caused misalignment.)
Re-drill 2-3 holes that were off.

I would expect anyone that gets a repop to expect the same.

~JH

2 Stovebolts 09-25-2019 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my 'Driver Quality' OEM used one, that I bought from a vendor at a local car show for $100. which was a great score......$1450. for a new OEM with shipping on e-bay?.....This is the result of those theifing auctions like Barrett Jackson, Mecum, & the rest...You can thank them for raising the bar into wealthy status, and now its trickling down to parts....I saw posted on e-bay a set of Hurst mags for a GTO for $8000. Yeah...fight with the fit, & put a smile on your face when its done......

A1971Blazer 09-25-2019 07:09 AM

I bought a NOS 69-70 outer for $900 and an NOS 71-72 outer and inner for $900
They look so good that I'm afraid to put them on...So they are in the original boxes in the attic of my garage....
In case I ever need them or times get hard...?
They can only get more valuable...(hopefully)

2 Stovebolts 09-25-2019 07:21 AM

Another important thing I will add....Even with new OEM, which I also have one in the box....It doesn't have the mounting brackets, and they need to be transferred from the doner grille....The OEM rivets pressed in at the factory are nearly impossible to duplicate..... Going A/M is the last resort and will buy you time until you find that gem of an excellent used one..and if you really get lucky, like I did, the brackets will be on the grille.....

72c20customcamper 09-25-2019 07:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I drove almost to the Ohio boarder to get a real nice OEM grill for my truck from a member here . Before and after. Funny thing is I sold the old 80s tube grille and surround for just about 100 less than the original.outer part of the old grille was nice but the po cut it to put in the tubular

But I met a great guy and his family and had a little get away with my girl

Traviz02 09-29-2019 10:55 AM

I’ve been pleased with goodmark parts

rockyrivermark 09-29-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Hotnuts (Post 8598995)
I just did an install with a new grille (*no letters) for my 70.

I had to modify it quite a bit to get it to fit; there is no free lunch with fit (or the +$400 price lol) I still need to tweak it a bit but its looking good.
Material quality is not as good as oem.

ITS SHARP (in a bad way). The inside edges are like razors! I cut the crap out of myself several times on this thing. It got so bad that I had to take a bastard file to it make it safe. The OEM grille shell is thicker and void of sharps.

I would try and find an original if I had to do it again but the POS re-pop CAN be made to work.

Mods I had to do:

File down inside edges (way to sharp)
Re-bend the angles where the center (plastic) section screws.
Grind down the inside edge on the LH side so it would slightly shift right. (too much material on the inside LH side caused misalignment.)
Re-drill 2-3 holes that were off.

I would expect anyone that gets a repop to expect the same.

~JH

What manufacturer was it???

PaulKarbo 09-29-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyrivermark (Post 8601221)
What manufacturer was it???

Just an update - I ended up ordering a Triplus from AMD. should be in by Tuesday. I’ll probably try the fit in a few weekends
Posted via Mobile Device

PaulKarbo 10-05-2019 10:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulKarbo (Post 8601291)
Just an update - I ended up ordering a Triplus from AMD. should be in by Tuesday. I’ll probably try the fit in a few weekends
Posted via Mobile Device

After being out of state for work, I opened up the new grill this morning and found some minor flaws. Thinking of sending it back - just want to check with others to see if I’m being too picky or if you think I’ll likely just get another grill with same or worse defects as a replacement and this will just go on and on.
Posted via Mobile Device

cornerstone 10-05-2019 11:36 AM

Close call if it were mine... I think I would send these pics to the seller and see what they will do for a replacement. If it were to cost me anything more (maybe they will expect you to pay some of the shipping?), I would make a wooden buck and carefully massage that one back to where it should be, and request a discount for the time and trouble to straighten the dented one out.

Ol Blue K20 10-05-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8604330)
Close call if it were mine... I think I would send these pics to the seller and see what they will do for a replacement. If it were to cost me anything more (maybe they will expect you to pay some of the shipping?), I would make a wooden buck and carefully massage that one back to where it should be, and request a discount for the time and trouble to straighten the dented one out.

X2, I wouldn't pay to ship it back but I would want some compensation. I can't believe that made it past "quality control ".....

Ol Blue K20 10-05-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8604330)

X2, I wouldn't pay to ship it back but I would want some compensation. I can't believe that made it past "quality control ".....

2 Stovebolts 10-05-2019 11:52 AM

If this is Chinese aftermarket its as good as it gets....Best option contact seller & get some $$$ back...live with it until you find a sweet OEM......

flashed 10-05-2019 10:54 PM

I used a Tri Pus 72 grill from AMD several years ago and it fit great and still looks great . I have an NOS GM grill shell still in the box and just bought a couple of nice used original Grills too , all 71/72's .

70 shorty 10-06-2019 08:38 PM

Based on what I've read here, I'd check the fit, and if it fits good, I'd keep it and find someone who could massage those dents out. I too would try get some sort of compensation from the vendor. I wonder if a PDR guy could do anything with the dents?

VWNate1 10-06-2019 09:25 PM

I too would test fit it, if it fits I'd prolly live with it .

I agree that sending the Vendor a note with the pictures of the dents is good
but only after you've test fitted it and decided which way to go .

If it fits poorly and you decide to return it, ask them for a " CALL TAG " ~ this is a pre paid return shipping label .

No reason you should pay anything to return a defective part .