The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Belt drive accessory kit (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=813234)

desert-rat 10-15-2020 03:00 PM

Belt drive accessory kit

350 block.
Hope I'm asking the right question here. This is my weakness in the rebuild.
It originally had a V belt setup. I wanna stick with that unless a serpentine belt setup is about the same price. PS, AC, water pump, alternator, and all needed brackets. I think that's it. Basically, I'm looking for an idiot Proof kit. Straight bolt-on. Thanks.

truckster 10-15-2020 03:45 PM

Re: Belt drive accessory kit. WTB

I'm using the serpentine belt system from a 98 Silverado, including the PS pump, alternator, and AC compressor.

desert-rat 10-15-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8822804)
I'm using the serpentine belt system from a 98 Silverado, including the PS pump, alternator, and AC compressor.

Did everything just bolt right up?

Smitty 10-15-2020 06:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Went with the same era serpentine set up. Got it at the pik a part. Make sure that if you go there that you get ALL of the nuts and bolts. Because they are a mixed lot and in some cases hard to find correct replacements. Bolted right up. Remember that you will need to get the appropriate water pump. They turn the opposite direction of the v belt variety. Also got a voltage gauge from Tbone. Because the amp gauge dosen't read right with the new alternator. I am happy with this set up.

gmc684x4 10-15-2020 06:11 PM

They fit except early small block heads that have no acc holes in them

88 to 98 trucks have 3 different styles
Early stamped steel brackets
90 to 95 and 96 to 98

Need in insure you salvage all the brackets ps pump pullys alt etc.

truckster 10-15-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desert-rat (Post 8822826)

Sorry, I was working on the Blazer... Yes, just as the others have said. Get everything. Your PS pump has a large fitting on the back - you can remove it and swap it for the one that has the serpentine belt, so you don't have to change hoses or fittings. If you have AC you'll need to decide how to adapt the fittings. I replaced my AC evaporator and condenser with parts from a 98 Silverado. I plan to do a write-up as soon as it's complete.

Wizo 10-15-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desert-rat (Post 8822826)

Did the same with mine except mine came off a 1994 5.7 Please heed our advice about the water pump. I didn't realize and had no idea and almost fried my 2.02 heads. Once you get it up and running and as funds become available, you can always swap out the accessories with new ones from O'Rileys. IMHO i would go and get a new water pump right away. Try to remember what the make and model of the vehicle is that you obtain these parts from so you can tell the parts people what the application is. A new clutch for the fan couldn't hurt either.

Smitty 10-16-2020 10:31 AM

I was lucky. The registration was in the glove box for the one I took my parts from. Keep it with all the other paperwork for the truck. Getting old and occasionally misplace info in my head.

Lee H 10-16-2020 12:50 PM

The mid 90's serpentine swap is easy and cost effective. I've done 4 now, 3 junk yard picking and one with a new complete kit from GM. Lots of threads to review and get hints from. Like said above, get all the brackets and fasteners from the same vehicle or same year vehicle. Get all the accessories like the alternator, clutch fan and fan blades, PS pump, water pump, idlers...... May have to pick from several vehicles. Get the year of the doner so you can get replacement parts in the future. There is also an adaptor to go from the original alternator pigtail to the new one. Ask lots of questions, many have made this swap. Good luck, Lee

notsolo 10-16-2020 01:12 PM

Also avoid the bracket with the passenger side air pump, I had to cut a chunk off just above the fuel pump.

71meangreenc10 10-17-2020 10:24 PM

Here is my write up from way back.

My kit is still on my truck with these parts so I can say it works.

Also 4.3's from mid 90's works, just check the alt location. Get the support rods, if you use them you don't need to drill the passenger side head for the upper inner bolt.

Make sure you take a puller for the PS pump pulley or you will not be bringing home a good kit without breaking the bracket.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468729

Smitty

desert-rat 10-18-2020 04:25 PM

Re: Belt drive accessory kit

Thanks all. It's a 1975 350 engine. The years mentioned above should still be good?? This will be very cost effective in price savings. Gonna take lots of reading time.

71meangreenc10 10-18-2020 06:31 PM

Re: Belt drive accessory kit

I just built another one the other day..... 4.3's are better brackets in my opinion. No smog pump on them, but if your in CA everything might have a smog pump bracket.

Smitty