The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moving a truck from Utah to Maine? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=818445)

mr.mud1 02-15-2021 12:26 PM

Moving a truck from Utah to Maine?

2 Attachment(s)
hi guys,Greg here in Nova Scotia.i bought this truck in Utah before Christmas,knowing i couldn't go get it,with the covid mess going on and the borders closed.the man i bought it from was ok with me leaving it with him,til i could come get it.he called the other night to say,the building he works from is sold.he has til March 1st to move everything,my truck included.the covid mess is on going,as we all know.the border between Canada and the U.S is closed.i may have a place in Calais,Maine,right the border to ship the truck to,although i worry how safe it would be,but first things first.i have to move the truck,i have a few quotes from USHIP.COM but i'm a little leary of them??what i was wondering was,is there anybody that some members here have have used in the past that they could recommend for transporting a truck?i do also have a friend in Newton Fall's Ohio that i could ship it too but still not close to home,although a lot closer.I was going to have it shipped to Dysart's Truck Stop in Coldbrook,Maine and go meet the truck, when the border opened,but with the border closed now, Dysarts is out?i did also get a rate to move the truck to Portland,Maine that was reasonable but i have no connection to anyone in Portland,Maine so i guess that's out too.any suggestions,greatly appreciated.Thanks.Greg

Chevyland 02-15-2021 12:47 PM

Re: Moving a truck from Utah to Maine?

Couple thoughts

Maybe there are members here that can help

Find someone else in Utah where you can leave it
Ship it north now to someone who can hold it

Does it drive ?

Is it insured ? ?
That is my biggest question, because if someone else is going to help you out they will not want the liability if something happens to the truck.

I’ve got a place in Massachusetts it could be stored at
Also have a broker I use on everything

I’ll pm my # if you want to discuss further

kwmech 02-15-2021 12:53 PM

If I wasn't in the opposite direction, having that sit on my 5 acres wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure there is a member in the Utah area willing to help out. Where in the state is this beauty

mr.mud1 02-15-2021 01:07 PM

thanks Guys.the truck is in Ogden,Utah.

Ol Blue K20 02-15-2021 01:14 PM

I hope you can find a solution. A very nice gesture Chevyland. :metal:

May70 02-15-2021 01:20 PM

I tried doing the broker/transporter route. What a disaster. Never again.

I needed to move a truck from Iowa to Virginia. Long story short I bought a car hauler and got it myself.

Suggestion one, if someone around that area will let you park it on their property that will help. Especially if they are retired or pretty open to meet with a transporter. With transporters you are lucky to get a date in advance, you definitely wont be getting a set time.

If you get many more quotes, get a burner phone from walmart for 20 bucks. They all sell your information after they get it. Spam callers ever since...

NEVER PAY A TRANSPORTER IN ADVANCE. PERIOD.

best view 02-15-2021 01:32 PM

U can fly over the border get it and rent a place there to put it in because transporters are not reliable for a certain time there are all kinds of people here from Canada u can fly but not drive u have some brilliant leaders up there lol

BigBird05 02-15-2021 01:40 PM

If you fly me to Utah, and pay the expenses. I'll drive it any place you want it.

cj847 02-15-2021 01:48 PM

I've used an auto transport company twice. What I've learned is that all of them work thru a brokering/scheduling service. You will get all kinds of quotes and some will be $300 less than the others. But in the end, it will cost about the same. Basically, they bid a price to you, but in the fine print you pay whatever they can get someone to haul it for.

I've sent a car from AR to CA and from CA to AR. It was different due to the amount of traffic each direction. It's all based on the number going in vs going out, you can't afford to run a truck empty. (if you've ever worked in logistics you'd understand).

Anyway, wild guess it will cost $2000 - 2500. You can't get much further away without crossing an ocean......

mr.mud1 02-15-2021 01:52 PM

thanks but it's got old expired tags and no insurance.the original owners died 25 years ago and the truck has been in storage since.i can't get plates or insurance for it here til it's here.i've always gone after things myself,and have been for 40 years.the covid mess now screws it up and the border closed.i know i can fly,just not keen on it and the quaranteen on the other end,and then when i get back.everything was fine til the guy said i had to move the truck.it was going to sit til whenever i could take my truck and trailer and go get it,or fly out and see about a temp tag and drive.can't happen now.

FirstOwner69 02-15-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 8880574)
it was going to sit til whenever i could take my truck and trailer and go get it,or fly out and see about a temp tag and drive.can't happen now.

Given what you said here, could the seller move the truck to a rental storage unit in Ogden until you can pick it up?

undertaker72 02-15-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 8880574)
thanks but it's got old expired tags and no insurance.the original owners died 25 years ago and the truck has been in storage since.i can't get plates or insurance for it here til it's here.i've always gone after things myself,and have been for 40 years.the covid mess now screws it up and the border closed.i know i can fly,just not keen on it and the quaranteen on the other end,and then when i get back.everything was fine til the guy said i had to move the truck.it was going to sit til whenever i could take my truck and trailer and go get it,or fly out and see about a temp tag and drive.can't happen now.

greg, it was good chatting with you and eric both today , like i told you both and eric knows , my place is your place , and if you need me , we can sit it next to some of mine , eric has been here before , we eat and sleep trucks , we have , or i have a saying in my yards , you can sit here at night and hear the chevys rusting lol PARTS ARE PARTS

undertaker72 02-15-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 8880523)
Couple thoughts

Does it drive ?

Is it insured ? ?
That is my biggest question, because if someone else is going to help you out they will not want the liability if something happens to the truck.

pick me ### pick me

Ol Blue K20 02-15-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undertaker72 (Post 8880658)
greg, it was good chatting with you and eric both today , like i told you both and eric knows , my place is your place , and if you need me , we can sit it next to some of mine , eric has been here before , we eat and sleep trucks , we have , or i have a saying in my yards , you can sit here at night and hear the chevys rusting lol PARTS ARE PARTS

Nice!....sounds like a solution is possibly in the works.

gmc684x4 02-15-2021 05:02 PM

You need a valid title to export from the USA to insure us customs it is not a stolen vehicle
Usually takes them 3 days for title search
Canada customs it is not required for import
But and a big but drive back across the line latter on you can have your truck confiscated and a 5000 us fine

I have imported 2 trucks to Canada and this will be some of the basic steps

ponderosa 02-15-2021 05:05 PM

i have shipped several times it's hard on the nerves but aways worked out . i am in epsom nh if you want to leave it at my place you can just let me know 603 398 6000

gmc684x4 02-15-2021 05:17 PM

Did the seller have a copy of the last valid title with executor the estate?

NewBayColony 02-15-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 8880523)
Couple thoughts

Does it drive ?

Is it insured ? ?

Really? Where abouts are you in MA?

mr.mud1 02-15-2021 07:07 PM

hi,thanks.i'm well aware of the procedure for bringing vehicles home to Canada from the states.i've done it for 40 years with race cars,trucks,old cars and a couple of harley electra glides..the title is being fed-ex'd to me now.no problem with the title.my problem is the guy i bought the truck from before Christmas,agreed to keep til i could come get it or have it shipped to a friend in Ohio and go get it,or shipped to the northeast somewhere and go meet the big truck and get my truck.i can't do that now with the border closed and the guy with my truck in Utah asked me to move it by March 1st.that's my problem now.we'll get'er figured out.

kwmech 02-15-2021 07:10 PM

Appears that Undertaker is willing to put it up for awhile

Already Gone 02-15-2021 07:39 PM

Great suggestions from everyone but you also can get it shipped right through to you by a transport company. Yes it'll cost more but you'll have it home and won't have to worry about it. It may be a year or two before the Border opens. Had this transporter bookmarked on my computer but there are others too.

https://www.tfxinternational.com

mr.mud1 02-15-2021 07:47 PM

yes sir.thanks to everyone who reached out.it looks like we have a plan.my truck was fine where it was til the guy i bought it from said it had to go,if at all possible,by March 1st.the covid is still a problem and the border is still closed between canada and the U.S and of course it's hard to do anything from the other side of North America.it looks like it can go to another place in Utah and stay there til the weather is better,maybe the border re-opens and i can have it heading this way.thanks a million
Greg

mr.mud1 02-15-2021 07:50 PM

$7600.00 is too much to have it to my door when it's $1850.00 to the border,4 hours away from me??.i'll figure it out somehow.thanks

kwmech 02-15-2021 08:07 PM

Wow, that's a lot of coin for transport

mr.mud1 02-15-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8880768)
Wow, that's a lot of coin for transport

you're right.more than it's worth for me.i'm in no hurry.i'll get it done,with a little help.thanks guys.