The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hood lock on hatch (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=818742)

freds 02-23-2021 02:11 AM

Hood lock on hatch

2 Attachment(s)
I’m on my final stages of my 1967 Chevy c10 pickup completions, still running into smalll problems. For some reason the hood lock on hatch does not line up to the front grill ( the alignment bolts are off alignment off from alignment by one inch) I can not figure it out.

'68OrangeSunshine 02-23-2021 03:30 AM

Re: Hood lock on hatch

Any GMC parts in the mix? Is it a pure '67? How did it fit before you took it apart?

my kids toy 02-23-2021 04:43 AM

I would take the latch back off and install the hood to make sure the hood and grill line up correctly, then you could loosen top bolts of rad support and or grill if needed for alignment and then try installing the latch again, the rad support might need to lean backwards a bit or front grill needs to come out a tad or both.
You do not have the center support under the latch as well so I would get that in there first because that will push the grill out some also and help with alignment.
Incase you do not know what support I am talking about here is a link for it.
https://www.classicparts.com/1967-68...ctinfo/61-723/

Ol Blue K20 02-23-2021 10:38 AM

Are you sure that it's a 67 latch?...

freds 02-23-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8884334)
Any GMC parts in the mix? Is it a pure '67? How did it fit before you took it apart?

Thank y’all for questions and suggestions, there is no GMC parts here, pure 1967 Chevy original. When taking apart every thing was easy no problems whatsoever. So, I’m still reviewing everything, probably take apart and restart to find my mistakes ?

freds 02-23-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my kids toy (Post 8884339)
I would take the latch back off and install the hood to make sure the hood and grill line up correctly, then you could loosen top bolts of rad support and or grill if needed for alignment and then try installing the latch again, the rad support might need to lean backwards a bit or front grill needs to come out a tad or both.
You do not have the center support under the latch as well so I would get that in there first because that will push the grill out some also and help with alignment.
Incase you do not know what support I am talking about here is a link for it.
https://www.classicparts.com/1967-68...ctinfo/61-723/

Yes its hard to see, but the center support is there in place. I will start with you all suggestions taking apart and rebuilding to find out my mistakes. I did not experienced any problems when I was dismantling. You’re suggestions are great, but there are no other alignment holes in sight, but I will keep surging. Thanks

LockDoc 02-23-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freds (Post 8884430)
Thank y’all for questions and suggestions, there is no GMC parts here, pure 1967 Chevy original. When taking apart every thing was easy no problems whatsoever. So, I’m still reviewing everything, probably take apart and restart to find my mistakes ?

I wouldn't take it all apart, just loosen all of the bolts. After you get all of the bolts loose re-install the hood latch. That may cure your problem.

LockDoc

my kids toy 02-23-2021 07:46 PM

That center support bracket I see were it mounts in the hole on the left/center of the latch but I do not see the support there that the latch would bolt too and if it was there it would be very well seen in that first picture because you slid the latch over to show the 3 holes on the left were it mounts and if it was there you would have the bracket hole with the welded nut sitting there exposed as well.
That bracket will push the grill out as well and it has the welded nut on the bottom side of the bracket were your front and center bolt would screw into, right now you have a empty hole in the grill so it shows it is not there.
That bracket also gets mounted before your chevy emblem goes on because one of the mounting holes for the bracket is hiden behind the emblem.
That bracket will not push your grill out about a inch like it shows it needs so other tweeks need to be made as well. but the bracket needs to get in there.

firedemon 02-23-2021 09:10 PM

theres a piece that goes on the bottom between the rad support and grill too that may help with getting the grill forward enough

CG 02-23-2021 09:14 PM

Good call MKT! ... Once you see it (or dont haha) its obvious.

'68OrangeSunshine 02-23-2021 10:30 PM

Do you have the ''Shelf'' ? What LMC calls p/n:30-3779 'Bumper/Radiator Deflector'...$79.95.
They were only used on '67/'68s.
Without a shelf, the parts might not align.
Later models deleted this part.
I find it damn handy for holding bottles of oil, etc.

[I once talked a guy down $250 on a GMC Jimmy buy, when his '71 didn't have a shelf. Thought I'd have to buy one. Turned out they never made them. I wasn't TRYING to be a bully. It just came naturally.]
I mentioned GMCs because their grille crosses on centerline, so the release catch is off to the drivers side.
Sounds like a geometry problem.

gmc684x4 02-24-2021 01:45 AM

Question was your truck a complete running together truck before you started restoration?
Many of us start with a partial truck and go from there

My thoughts is the hood latch is from or for a different year

I could see 1/4 to 1/2 inch miss alignment
By the looks you would need to rake your rad support back 1.5 inches or so to make that work

my kids toy 02-24-2021 05:25 AM

Do you also have this part mounted ?
there is not much room for the amount of movement you need and this part would show you if you had maybe the rad support mounted in the wrong holes.
it mounts to the rad support and the fender on the inside corners.
https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72...ctinfo/78-568/

Grumpy old man 02-24-2021 08:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
looks like your missing a few pieces .

https://www.classicparts.com/1967-68...nfo/61%2D723/#

https://www.classicparts.com/1967-68...nfo/66%2D028/#

NGN 02-24-2021 09:59 AM

Freds I got the same year truck and what looks to be the same color too, funny it looks like a picture of my truck. Hope your situation is now figured out, this got my curiosity I'm always interested in what help people can give I'm gonna take a look at mine this afternoon and see what I can see. I took just that part off and on a couple times just to clean things up. Good luck.

freds 02-26-2021 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8884796)

thank you all for your observations, but I have both of the items you mentioned. but please keep on shooting your ideas my way. thank you.

pjmoreland 02-26-2021 12:26 AM

Maybe your fenders are too far apart from each other and you stretched your grille flat when you attached it to the fenders. If you loosen the four screws that go through the back of the radiator support and into the fenders from behind as well as the screws in the triangular gussets, then maybe the grille will relax forward to its normal position. You may need to loosen the screws that attach your inner fenders to the radiator support and battery tray as well. Just a guess.

my kids toy 02-26-2021 05:19 AM

Can you post a picture showing that center brace.
You might have the part but I am 99% sure it is not on the truck.
That piece is what helps sets the distance that your short.
I mentioned above that it uses a hidden bolt behind the chevy emblem, I think it uses a rivet there.