The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Joie Chitwood: A True Chevy Man (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824159)

special-K 07-25-2021 08:35 AM

Joie Chitwood: A True Chevy Man

Yup. I demand the same from my cars. That's why I drive Chevrolet!!

Ol Blue K20 07-25-2021 10:04 AM

Re: Joie Chitwood: A True Chevy Man

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8949450)
Yup. I demand the same from my cars. That's why I drive Chevrolet!!

1956 Chevrolet - Joie Chitwood Thrill Show - YouTube

I remember his shows. I never saw on in person though.

Thealien 07-25-2021 12:21 PM

They were an attraction at the Brockton Fair for may years.

57taskforce 07-25-2021 12:28 PM

Cool stuff. Amazing how times have changed. Pretty sure Gm doesn’t even have a full size 4 door car anymore and if they did can you imagine what would happen if you jumped it like that???:lol:

Boog 07-25-2021 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aut Swenson's Auto Thrillcade made the county fair circuits back when I was a kid. His group did pretty much the same stunts as Chitwood's. The earliest one I remember was 1961. They were using all Fords that year. At the end of each set of stunts the drivers would all come sliding in and turn in front of the grand stands then jump out of their cars and wave to the crowd, like Chittwood's. That year the convertible driver caught a rut and his big ford rolled over upside down right there. Windshield collapsed and flat it was on the dirt. A number of men were able to roll it back over and the driver, "Jumpin Jimmy James", was able to continue with one arm in a sling. His last stunt of the evening was to run a Ford pickup up through an oversized culvert looking tunnel and ramp out the other side with fireworks. I remember it so well.

special-K 07-26-2021 04:40 AM

I don't know of any thrill driver shows these days other than private individuals doing random free shows in rush hour

special-K 07-29-2021 05:25 AM

Here's another video.

61_FL_Apache 07-29-2021 08:25 AM

Good stuff! I remember seeing that show in the mid 70's at the Palm Beach Speedway. Probably the same cars too!

Ol Blue K20 07-29-2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8951052)

Nice video, I bet newer cars would fall apart before the end of the show. :lol:

Steeveedee 07-29-2021 09:12 AM

There was a team of guys who came to the local speedway with '65 Mustangs, doing the same things.

weq92f 07-29-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8951085)

Right...imagine a fleet of front wheel drive GM generics doing this today HAHAHA.

-klb

GOPAPA 07-29-2021 09:45 AM

Never seen the show in person ..but sure would of liked to seen it.. great precision driving

weq92f 07-29-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8951099)
Never seen the show in person ..but sure would of liked to seen it.. great precision driving

I'm wondering whether those cars had some suspension upgrades after watching a few of these scenes over and over! In particular, the jump-over-car-swerving-between-ramps scene comes to mind as the swerving car seemed to handle that too well.

-klb

special-K 07-29-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8951085)

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8951098)
Right...imagine a fleet of front wheel drive GM generics doing this today HAHAHA.

-klb

They'd probably turn themselves off soon as they'd tilt :lol:

Or all the safety sensors hollerin' atcha :lol:

These cars were supposedly off the lot stock. I'm sure Chevy was sending some cool cash his way. Probably supplied the cars. I saw there was an earlier video showing him using 49/50 Fords. So maybe a true Chevy guy or maybe a whoever pays best guy

68Gold/white 07-30-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8949732)
Aut Swenson's Auto Thrillcade made the county fair circuits back when I was a kid. His group did pretty much the same stunts as Chitwood's. The earliest one I remember was 1961. They were using all Fords that year. At the end of each set of stunts the drivers would all come sliding in and turn in front of the grand stands then jump out of their cars and wave to the crowd, like Chittwood's. That year the convertible driver caught a rut and his big ford rolled over upside down right there. Windshield collapsed and flat it was on the dirt. A number of men were able to roll it back over and the driver, "Jumpin Jimmy James", was able to continue with one arm in a sling. His last stunt of the evening was to run a Ford pickup up through an oversized culvert looking tunnel and ramp out the other side with fireworks. I remember it so well.

I experienced the exact same show, using Fords, around that time. I was a very small boy in Eastern Iowa. My grandma took me to see a race, and Chittwood and his group were there. Can't think of anything I would have liked to see as a little kid!!!

joedoh 07-31-2021 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
anyone catch the suspension picture was upside down? :)

GOPAPA 07-31-2021 06:31 PM

Has there ever been any "Powder Puff Girls " doing anything like this Chitwood crew did?

Ol Blue K20 07-31-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8952011)
anyone catch the suspension picture was upside down? :)

I saw it too.:smoke: