The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chrome going back on (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=831152)

69BB396 02-18-2022 01:48 PM

Chrome going back on

Chevy is in the paint shop, and adding all new chrome.
With new doors, box sides etc. no chrome mounting holes.
My body guy is ultra fussy on where everything goes.
I do know where the emblems go.

Anyone can point us in the right direction greatly appreciated!

:chevy:

HO455 02-18-2022 06:44 PM

Re: Chrome going back on

What year model and appearance package are you planning to have installed?

notsolo 02-18-2022 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you looking for factory trim instructions...like this.....measurements are in 10/th's of an inch, makes it a real head scratcher.

69BB396 03-03-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9036751)
What year model and appearance package are you planning to have installed?

Mine is a 1969 C10.

Upper and lower complete both sides.

Tailgate too.

Have a peek at my photo on the left, its original.

69BB396 03-03-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 9036781)
Are you looking for factory trim instructions...like this.....measurements are in 10/th's of an inch, makes it a real head scratcher.

Sure that would be great!

Accelo 03-04-2022 04:23 PM

The issue with the factory location diagrams is the reference lines are not defined.
Check out the Horizontal reference line (15) what is the location? The chrome side molding or a sheet metal crease?
The front to back holes are located by using (line 115) Again no reference.

Ends up you know the distance between the holes it about it.
You are better off to locate the top of the side molding with the tail light and use that.
Be sure your bed is lined up with the cab and run a tape line all the way front to back.

I had the same issue with the tail light bezel. I got it but it took awhile. I taped around the perimeter of the bezel and then used a felt pen to mark out the position of the bezel.
Then marked the holes on the tape.

Touch up the drilled holes with some paint before installing the clips. Try the clips in the holes before mounting them on the trim to be sure they fit in the holes, quality control it terrible and varies by manufacture. Sometimes greasing the clips before installing is required.
Cheers.

69BB396 03-04-2022 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelo (Post 9046222)
The issue with the factory location diagrams is the reference lines are not defined.
Check out the Horizontal reference line (15) what is the location? The chrome side molding or a sheet metal crease?
The front to back holes are located by using (line 115) Again no reference.

Ends up you know the distance between the holes it about it.
You are better off to locate the top of the side molding with the tail light and use that.
Be sure your bed is lined up with the cab and run a tap line all the way front to back.

I had the same issue with the tail light bezel. I got it but it took awhile. I taped around the perimeter of the bezel and then used a felt pen to mark out the position of the bezel.
Then marked the holes on the tape.

Touch up the drilled holes with some paint before installing the clips. Try the clips in the holes before mounting them on the trim to be sure they fit in the holes, quality control it terrible and varies by manufacture. Sometimes greasing the clips before installing is required.
Cheers.

Super thanks.
Gonna test fit everything before paint.

D.PASSMORE 03-05-2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 9036781)

10/th's was / is old shool manufacturing standard. There is 10 /10th in a inch. So, 5/10ths is a 1/2 inch, etc. you can purchase machinist rulers/scales marked as 10th of measurements. Have fun!