The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hoping to finally get this '67 home (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=835629)

ProfGriff 06-23-2022 01:20 AM

Hoping to finally get this '67 home

3 Attachment(s)
I bought this non-runner '67 LWB C10 out of a field in SC four years ago now. I thought I could get it in driving shape to it get back to Canada in the fall of '18. I was close, but not quite, so I had to come back without it. Fast forward 4 years, and now, post covid, I can finally go back south this summer and drive it back up north. It's currently at my buddy's place in GA. FYI, this was a 6 cyl, bare bones truck originally, but had an early '90's TPI 350 swapped (with a Qjet) with the original 3 spd., and PS and PB. I got it running with a $10 fuel pump, but went through almost everything else in the fall of '19. New gas tank and lines, rebuilt Qjet, new HEI, new alum. rad, new WP, fan clutch, oil pan, all new brakes, etc. plus the wide steelies and tires. (235/75R15 front and 31x10.5x15 rear AT's) My plan is to do a 2/4 drop and build a nice 350/TH350. The outside I'll leave largely as-is, because you can't buy patina like this. I'll make the inside of the cab really nicey-nice. I'll have to blow apart the box and install a new bed floor, but I have that now. I will also have to learn how to weld properly. That can all happen when it's here on the right coast of Canada tho'. It is generally a really solid truck (to a guy who lives here in the REAL rust belt!)
I have a GoPro, so hopefully I can put together a YouTube vid of the trip back. It should be interesting, especially if I drag back the 350/TH350 powered '68 Volvo 122S I also own.

Wish me luck!

Cheers

Phil

bwl101 06-23-2022 01:55 AM

Re: Hoping to finally get this '67 home

Good luck! It has a really cool patina to it, don't steal all our good finds from SC to take them up north! LOL

Already Gone 06-23-2022 02:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking forward to following your adventure getting the truck home. Bought mine in 2014 from South Dakota and drove her home the 900 miles back to Saskatoon. Picture is from about a 1/2 hour after I picked her up and stopped for gas before the first leg of 900 mile non stop journey home.

dave6672 06-23-2022 06:07 AM

Cool looking truck! Keep us posted.

Getter-Done 06-23-2022 06:25 AM

Good luck:chevy:

I am along for the ride.:metal:

Palf70Step 06-23-2022 06:42 AM

:agree:

mr.mud1 06-23-2022 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
good looking truck,good luck getting it home.i did the same sort of thing,bought a 72 truck in Idaho about 2 years ago,was in storage for 25 years but couldn't go get it with covid and at that time,the borders closed.it was to stay where i bought it til whenever i could go but that all changed when the guy i bought it from said he needed room,it had to go,so i had it trucked all the way home.quite an ordeal but it's here.all the best.Greg

special-K 06-23-2022 11:27 AM

So you will be driving this truck home? I'll wish you luck. These trucks will getcha home. Video of the journey would be cool

ProfGriff 06-23-2022 12:05 PM

Thanks guys, I'll keep ya posted. Yes, the plan is to drive it home while dragging the '68 Volvo behind on a car dolly. It should be a (slow) adventure! And I promise not to empty SC of all these gems! I have enough projects to do me for now.

Cheers

Phil

speedbucket 06-23-2022 09:25 PM

That’s a great story! I’m from Vancouver but have lived in Sandy Eggo for 45 years. I love getting survivors get the mechanicals set up and driving them like they are everyday.
My most recent is a 67 C20 CST AC,PS,PB,327/th350 every other option available that was stored for 35 yrs added some fluids and drove it home! I’m slowly going thru brakes and carb and I added an HEI distributor plus a few other things.
I look forward to seeing what you do with this sweetheart. Have fun!
All the best,
Greg
Posted via Mobile Device

FRENCHBLUE72 06-24-2022 10:54 AM

Nice looking truck safe travels...

FleetsidePaul 06-26-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9093800)
good looking truck,good luck getting it home.i did the same sort of thing,bought a 72 truck in Idaho about 2 years ago,was in storage for 25 years but couldn't go get it with covid and at that time,the borders closed.it was to stay where i bought it til whenever i could go but that all changed when the guy i bought it from said he needed room,it had to go,so i had it trucked all the way home.quite an ordeal but it's here.all the best.Greg

That must have been one heck of a tow bill.

You guys sure go a long way to fetch these trucks. My 71 was 10 minutes from my house, my 70 CST was a whopping 20 minutes away, and my 70 Flatbed was across the street. The flat bed took the longest to get home because my neighbor talked for an hour. The drive was only a couple minutes. :lol:

That truck looks cool and the trip sounds fun. Enjoy the adventure and be safe.

mr.mud1 06-26-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9094991)
That must have been one heck of a tow bill.

You guys sure go a long way to fetch these trucks. My 71 was 10 minutes from my house, my 70 CST was a whopping 20 minutes away, and my 70 Flatbed was across the street. The flat bed took the longest to get home because my neighbor talked for an hour. The drive was only a couple minutes. :lol:

That truck looks cool and the trip sounds fun. Enjoy the adventure and be safe.

yes sir,it was a big bill but you gotta do what you gotta do when the local trucks are rotted away.i've been to California a couple times,Texas too and countless trips to the Carolina's.nothing like a good road trip to drag home some more valuable treasure.

ProfGriff 06-26-2022 08:03 PM

We here in Canuckistan have to go that far to get anything worth fixing. My sis lives in Cali and I'm always drooling over all the mint old metal while I'm there.

Cheers

Phil

jumpsoffrock 06-26-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfGriff (Post 9095125)
We here in Canuckistan have to go that far to get anything worth fixing. My sis lives in Cali and I'm always drooling over all the mint old metal while I'm there.

Cheers

Phil

I don't know what the heck you are talking about lol--I'd say at least 70%+ of the 67-72 trucks I see here have considerable rust; and I'd say about 10-15% more have catastrophic game-over rust. I very rarely see a truck that could be painted and driven without any rust repair whatsoever.

I read once that the CA sun bakes the roof drip rail seam sealer, and that allows water to get through and rust the cabs--and that's why CA trucks are often so badly rusted.
I own two original CA trucks and both were catastrophic--roofs, floors rusted; cowls with huge holes, no such thing as rockers or cab mounts anymore. A can of soup could fit through the cab corner..... I mean RUINED.

Anyways, thats my rant lol :waah: :smoke:

ProfGriff 06-26-2022 11:21 PM

'Cuz where I come from, those percentages apply to 10 year old trucks.

Cheers

jumpsoffrock 06-27-2022 09:28 AM

Cars is a tough hobby over in those places...Can't imagine my 15 year old car being riddled with rust :lol:

ProfGriff 06-27-2022 11:15 AM

When I worked on the '67 back in the fall of '18 it was a revelation. I'm not saying it's not a little rusty, but everything came apart with hand tools. No torch, no Johnson bars, no impact. I work PT at a country garage here, and even simple jobs become a PITA because of rust. They salt the roads like crazy in the winter here, plus the Maritime air is salty at the best of times. Half the cars here get junked after 10 years because they are just rotten. That's why we have to look south!

Cheers!