The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Intermediate Shaft Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=848303)

cgster 10-28-2023 06:45 AM

Intermediate Shaft Question

1 Attachment(s)
I will be installing an aftermarket steering column in my 67 C10 so I also ordered the intermediate shaft as well. My question is, the intermediate shaft I ordered didn't come with any pin to insert in the hole (shown on attached pic). What kind of pin goes through this hole? Thanks.

Accelo 10-28-2023 07:11 AM

Re: Intermediate Shaft Question

I believe the factory one is plastic. It's manufactured to shear if you are in an accident. That way you do have to have the full force of the steering column in your face.
If I was going with stock some type of aluminum or plastic screw may work. If you are going with a rack and pinion the funny angles required will likely collapse first.

My 1957 column is like a fence post in front of my face. IMHO that is really dangerous in a front end collision. Anything you do will be better that that.
Cheers

1970cstblazer 10-28-2023 07:48 AM

The factory injected nylon in those shafts, much like some of the OEM universal joints in mid '70-s newer applications.

cgster 10-28-2023 08:39 AM

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I wish one end of the nickel plated rod would have had a predrilled hole to insert pin through. Might be a pain drilling with a regular drill.

zicc1835 10-29-2023 09:34 PM

read up on your aftermarket column some are made to collapse on impact

A1971Blazer 10-30-2023 07:30 AM

I moved my steering column forward about 1¼" , so I had to take the intermediate shaft apart to shorten it.
The engagement of the two halves is fairly long so I didn't worry about trying to put anything back in the holes.
There's no play in the joint when slid together.
it's in a fixed position with the column clamped down and the rag joint fastened in, it's unlikely to come apart very easily
and will still collapse in the event of a frontal impact.

cgster 10-30-2023 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 9254832)
I moved my steering column forward about 1¼" , so I had to take the intermediate shaft apart to shorten it.
The engagement of the two halves is fairly long so I didn't worry about trying to put anything back in the holes.
There's no play in the joint when slid together.
it's in a fixed position with the column clamped down and the rag joint fastened in, it's unlikely to come apart very easily
and will still collapse in the event of a frontal impact.

Thanks, I may end up doing the same thing.