View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #19
Rack Man

Re: "FRAME OFF" Has Begun - Wish Me Luck! - Pics

Well...I'm making a little headway.....Here are the highlights of what I have accomplished in the past few weeks:

Just got the body back from the media blaster and it is currently in epoxy primer....Body work should begin this week....(I'll get progress pics)

I got the frame and chassis components back from powder-coating

Upgraded to a mid 70's front Dana 44 with Disk brakes....I was going to keep the original axle with the drum brakes....but the entire thing was shot....including a bent housing....Got to talking with a guy who happened to have one laying around.....I was stoked....best $150 I've spent so far!

The guts of GM 12 bolt rear was pretty much shot as well.....but at least the housing was good....So, we installed new ring & pinion gears in both front & back....went to 373 ratio's in both from the 410 / 411 combo that was in there.....had them powder-coated as well while they were apart.....

Sent the trans & transfer case to be hot tanked & checked out....Everything was good...so just had them do a quick bearing & seal job......I detailed the trans & transfer case (while fully assembled)....not bad if I do say so myself for rattle cans and tape

I added the 1" Zero Rate add-a-leafs from ORD for just a modest 1" lift......easy install but they sent the wrong U-bolts and I had to drill out the center hole on the leafs to accept a larger pin.....that is some hard ass stuff....3 drill bits later one spent drill motor and I got her done...

I replaced all the leaf spring bushings, trans adapter mount and torque mount grommets.

I also had the engine freshened up.....Had it bored 30 over as it had a couple of cracked rings that scarred the cylinders...other than that I kept it as a fairly stock rebuild with just the addition of a baby Cam.....I started the re-build of the Carb and also added the Petronix electronic ignition to the distributor.....I still need to paint the engine....Hopefully I'll do that this week and get it installed as well.

Lots of individual detailed reference pics can be seen @: http://picasaweb.google.com/Rackman1111/TruckResto#

Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote