View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Re: Short Bed VS Long Bed Fleet Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC71V8 View Post

I am surprised at the feedback. Really no one sets a realistic budget to ensure they build correctly the first time and within their means? Maybe it was the time I spent in a restoration shop working within time and budget constraints? I must whole heartily disagree that keeping a good head about where my money (and time) goes has anything to do with not loving this hobby or appreciating the joy of it.
I never set a budget for my truck. I paid/pay cash as I go, and the dollar amount is not really an issue to me. And since I don't plan on selling it, I'm not worried what I might be able to get out of it. But usually when a customer brings in a vehicle and says "I have $10,000 to do this project with, and this is what i want done" then you are placed within those constraints.

Some on here have set budgets for their build, and keep within them. Others come close, but end up going over. I worked in the custom vehicle industry for years building vehicles to the customers specs, and still had to stay within a budget. If they liked what I was able to do with their money, then they felt they got great deal for their money. But for some of the things I built, I would never personally spend that amount of money on it.

I get what you are asking, but I think one would be hard pressed to get a $$$ figure for an answer. A more realistic answer for these would be which one would be preferred more? Even that will get varied answers.

I prefer a long bed 4wd over a short bed 4wd, so I would pay up for a long bed 4wd between two otherwise identical trucks. Likewise, I prefer a short bed 2wd over a long bed 2wd, so I would pay up for a short bed 2wd over an identical long bed. I would also prefer a cloned 68 Camaro SS over a real one, because I just want one that looks good, and I don't care about the correctness and numbers matching aspect and all that jazz. Plus, the clone would probably be cheaper. But I'm just starting to repeat myself.....

If you can afford to build what you want, do it. If you can't afford to build it, look for something that is built like you would build, that you can afford.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote