View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #46
sgaylord
Project collector

Re: Project "Jezabel"

UPDATE:::::

I was able to drill out all of the spot welds that needed removed in order to separate the panels and reinstall them on the truck. I fit the lower cowl w/kick panels, and the upper cowl to the "A" pillars. The fit was pretty good, I was a little worried that the edges I recreated on the "A" pillars would cause a fitment issue. I did have to make a few adjustments with a hammer and dolly but overall it went in pretty easily.

After taking a few pics I took it all apart again to POR-15 the "A" pillars and inside of the kick panels. I only applied the POR-15 to limited areas. I wanted to only apply POR-15 to areas that 1) were exposed to water, and 2) were not areas that would be welded in the future. I will use weld through primer in any area being welded. Then I will apply seam sealer over all seams when it cools down.

The next step will be to install it all again, clamp it together, then one last check to make sure the doors and fenders align then I will burn it all in for good.

Let me know what you think. Am I taking the right approach?

This is just one side of the kick panel showing how many spot welds actually hold them together.
Name:  DSCN1721.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  100.3 KB

This is the Dr. side "A" pillar coated with POR-15
Name:  DSCN1719.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  98.8 KB

This is the side of the kick panel where it will attach to the "A" pillar coated with POR-15.
Name:  DSCN1718.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  100.6 KB

Upper and lower cowl installed.
Name:  DSCN1691.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  100.6 KB

Passenger side of the same pic above.
Name:  DSCN1692.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  99.1 KB

2020 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax