Thread: 198Plus build
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #146
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: 198Plus build by Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Allan your a good guy. I think you did the right thing. It's hard to judge how long something will take. There's no guide for flat rate times for restoration, or fabrication. When you look at the bed he brings you. Just say this time once you start it there's no refund on labor no matter what you find. Remember when you give a price for repair say it's an estimate, and could cost more depending what you find. The last truck fenders I straightened I charged a little more than half of what it would cost for a new one. But if it's not available, then I charge a lot more. With your attitude you will have repeat customers, and they will recommend you for future jobs. I try not to take advantage of people and be honest with them. It pays off in the end. But some times the customer takes advantage of YOU.

What do you charge per hour? I'm only at $40. But most of the time I don't charge by the hour. How can you justify spending 20 hours fabricating special motor mounts, transmission mounts for a car that nobody has anything for. I lost track how many times I had the engine in and out.
Thanks Dennis. I appreciate your input. I gave him credit for the bed, but not labor spent on it so far. I think that is a happy medium for both of us.

I'm at $40/hr, I don't know what I will do when it comes time to fabricate something that will exceed reasonable cost. It's a hard call. I don't mind going home tired I just don't want to be broke and tired.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote