View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Eagar1

Re: late model cross member swap WHO DONE IT?

You are going to have a little more work with the 61 as the 67-87 front crossmembers are not a direct bolt in like they are for the 63-66.
The preferrable swaps are the disc front ends from the 71 and newer. I have heard that only 2 or 4 of the 14 or so bolts will line up on yours and you will have to drill the rest, and perhaps even reinforce the frame.The later model crossmembers after 73 have the rubber a-arm bushings and sway bars, and you can use drop spindles, bag it, and adapt the power steering.
personally, I had a 62 and really liked the ride of the torsion bar suspension, so its up to you to decide. I have a 63 C20 that had drums, and I used the complete crosmember from a 72 C20 so I got the 8 lug front discs, V8 springs, etc. and am adapting a 75 power steering box and later model booster with adapter plates from CaptainFab on this board.
Alot of members have alot more experience with this than I do, but I thought I would just give you my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your build!
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote