View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Re: Engine Starves for Fuel When I Hit Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer View Post
Truck looks nice. Good luck with the fuel issue.
Thanks dj

OK here's the report.

I pulled the fuel tank line off the pump and installed a temporary line down into a can of gas. Still got 3 PSI. The problem is not in the line to the fuel tank.

Took the filter out of the carburetor fuel rail and with the line still in the gas can. 3 PSI. Problem is not a clogged filter.

Took off the fuel line between the pump and carb and blew through it. Air moves freely. Problem isn't there either.

Took the fuel pump off the engine and examined the pushrod. It shows no signs of wear.

Held the push rod on the cam with my finger while engine was cranked. Push rod moves back and forth like it's supposed to. Problem is not with the cam lobe.

That leaves only a brand new Holley Fuel pump as the culprit. What I don't get is this is the second one I've had that's done this. The original Holley was on the truck when it was stock and as I recall it never put out more than 4 1/2 PSI either. It didn't matter to the stock engine and was never an issue. It was an issue after the rebuild and so I put this one on thinking the problem should be corrected. I did have to take it apart to get the angle on the fittings to line up right with my fuel lines. I wonder if I screwed something up? I'm pretty meticulous and don't think I would have put something back the wrong way but I wouldn't rule it out at this point. And maybe Holley just sux at building fuel pumps.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 10-12-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote