View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #21
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Re: The Great Critter Revival ‘09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
The overall length of the 4L80e is such that even with the engine moved forward a few inches my NP205 shifter would have to be moved back in between my seats, or at least down to the edge of the center hump. I didn't like that.
Really? Hmm, because when I swapped from a 2wd 4L60E (same exact case as a 65E) to an 4L80E, I didn't have to change anything except the trans x-member mounting location. The overall length was exactly the same. I used my same exact driveshaft with no modification.

Quote:
Next was the H2s. ...they had an LQ4 with 325 HP in front of a 4L65e with 35 inch tall tires from the factory and they seem to hold up fine. In addition you had other vehicles like the Denalis and Silverado 1500HDs with the same set up. From there we had some of the LQ9 engines (345 HP) in front of the 4L65e like the older Escalade all wheel drive, Vortec Max and Silverado SS. Over the last couple years most of these vehicles have moved on to some form of the 6.2L engine with a 6L90e tranny, but for 7 or 8 years the LQ4/4L65e held up fine.
Actually the H2s, Escalades, Denalis, Vortec Max, and Silverado SS' all had the 345 horse LQ9 backed by a 4L65E. The 1500HDs had the LQ4 backed by a 4L80E.

The 65E is barely adequate in those vehicles listed above when left bone stock, with the GM torque management in the ECM left at the stock settings. Once you mod your 6.0, or throw a tune at it with reduced/removed TQ management, or get extreme with the tire size, all bets are off.

Quote:
This is basically the exact drive train I plan to put together and I won't be doing any heavy off-roading or anything to push it to the limit.
If that is indeed true, and you leave the stock tune in it, it will probably live for awhile, but your comments about building the 65E lead me to believe otherwise

Just remember that a stock 4L80E is stronger than a built 4L65E. Have you priced the "bulletproof" hard parts for a 65E? If so, the cost argument just went out the window.

Not trying to piss in your cheerios, but I've been there with both transmissions. I've come to the conclusion that it's cheaper to do it right once than to do it over Every truck i've ever owned with a 60E/65E has **** the bed relatively soon. I've been trying to kill the bone stock 80E in my 69 and it won't die. Not even with repeated abuse at 500 rwhp and slicks.

Regardless, it sounds like you've thought it thru, and you have a game plan.
Can't wait to see your project come together
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote