Thread: 1969 Short Wide
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #170
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Doing a great job Mike......I use some flat magnets to hold down filler pieces of sheet metal while I tack them on.
Thanks Jhonny! Yep, the magnets give me an extra pair of hands. You just have to keep your tig torch away from the magnetic field....it will mess up your welds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Man you are doing good work there.

I hope to start repairing my rocker panels soon.

Since mine's a daily driver, I will have to do one at a time and have everything done in a weekend and have it ready to drive by mondays...

How long would you say it took you to do one rocker panel?

Also, if you could do it again, would you get the rockers from another vendor? I'm guessing none of them would fit perfectly but have no experience to speak of.
Thanks JoJo! If you haven't done rocker replacement before you will need to plan on spending the better part of a day to replace each side. If it is an GM original rocker it seems to go easier than one someone replaced. The reason I say that, you can just track down all the spot welds and drill through the outer layer then pop it off a little at a time. If it has been replaced, it can be very difficult to find the welds...just have to cut it off and grind the welds down. More often than not if the rocker is shot there will be more rust behind there either on the lower pillar or kick panel. As far as the repop rockers, I don't know? I have never purchased any of them but the cheaper ones and the fitment sucks on all of them. I bet Kevin at LFD could tell you where to get some better fitting ones. Of course, if you can find some new old stock ones they would probably fit the best. The worst area is where the back edge meets the cab. Its almost like they made them short. Around 1/8 inch which is too much for me to use filler. I will end up cutting the back area and rewelding the edge on both sides. You really need to plan some time to cut off the old one , clean all the welds, remove rust with a wire wheel or sandblaster (if you have one), use some type of rust conversion primer and then tack it, check fit of the door, then weld up and grind welds, primer paint. If you need any help send a PM or email. I would be more than happy to help.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote