View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #70
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver7 View Post
Spot on. I put my traction bars on my truck to limit the movement of my axle forwards and backswards - aka axle wrap. I plan to have close to 500 hp so I was concerned my lifted springs may cause a lot of axle wrap with this kind of horsepower.

I'm curious - if you want front to rear movement in your springs, why did you put traction bars on your truck?
I must be missing something. I'll trust you on this for your setup. The more I think about it, essentially what you've done is created a sort of combined trailing arm and leaf spring suspension in one. Sorta.

As for my Caltracs, I'm not preventing fore-aft movement. That's not what a good traction control system does. My goal is the same as what you called it but not what you described: preventing spring (axle) wrap, which isn't fore-aft movement at all but rotation of the axle in place, causing the leaf springs to "wrap" into an S shape. During normal driving the axle still needs to be able to move forward and backward as I described previously and hence the need for the front pivot. Under hard acceleration, however, if the axle tries to rotate forward, the Caltracs prevent this rotation.

But like I said, I'm not an engineer and maybe I'm missing something. I'll leave it at that and hope it perfectly works for you. Sometimes I overthink things.

Cheers,
Brent

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote