View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #75
silver7

Re: Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod

I finally figured out how I am going to work my rear dual shocks. I saw some photos of a truck with Rough Country dual shocks in the rear end I really liked the look - symmetrical and side-by-side except mine will be oriented towards the front of the truck and the lower mounts will attach higher on the axle. Unfortunately, with the way the previous owner fabricated the current upper shock brackets I wouldn't be able to duplicate it without making some changes. As a result, I decided to remove my current upper shock mounts and replace with the spare tire cross member I removed from the rear of my frame so I could mount a larger gas tank. I plan to attach the same kind of lower shock brackets to this cross member that I already fabricated for my axle housing. 5 hours of cutting, grinding, sanding and welding in the garage today allowed me to remove the old shocks mounts and replace with some new steel. I think I may be getting the hang of this welding thing. . .

Next steps are to lengthen the cross member 5 inches (the shock mount location is at a wider part in the frame than where the cross member was originally) and weld the brackets to it when they arrive from Barnes 4WD.
Attached Images

Last edited by silver7; 01-30-2010 at 11:01 PM.
silver7 is offline   Reply With Quote