View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #54
383Ram

Re: Crossbred, 454 into an '85 Ram

Two months later since last post, i am on vacation and doing something for myself. Still working on that pesky Charger though ....

So here is the progression of the transmission adapter. I also just got a Lakewood scattershield off of ebay---man you used to be able to trip over these at swapmeets, been to 3 big ones since the first of the year and couldn't find one---and i have been willing to pay reasonably. The other stipulation i had was it needed to have the front block plate, and some of them didn't.

First up, a picture posted a few posts back. Started with a piece of 3/4" thick, 12"x12" aluminum plate. I marked out and had my machinest bore the 5 1/8" hole for the front retainer on the Mopar 833 4-speed Overdrive transmission. Then i drilled and tapped the holes for the transmission.

Next up a pic of the bellhousing, typical Lakewood piece.

Then i profiled the piece a bit. Took about 2.5 hours to do. Started by tracing my outline, and sllooowwwlly cut it out with a jigsaw. Then came the manual labor, a rough file to smooth all the edges smooth and striaght. I also marked out and drilled the muncie pattern off the bellhousing. The smoothed it all out with my diegrinder and 3M roloc 2" discs. LLOOOTTSSSSSS of aluminum dust to clean up---how well does that stuff come out of carpet i have in my garage, LOL. Guess i'll find out.

Oh yea, the muncie holes were drilled oversize so i could move the plate around a bit. Once i get the motor together, i will dill indicate off my the crankshaft to my adapter to get it within tolerance and tighten the bolts down. Then i will drill some 1/8" holes through the adapter and bellhousing and use roll pins so it cant move if it ever has to come apart.

Pic of it on the bellhousing----anyway to lighten this pic using MS paint?

Pic of a spare trans case and tailshaft housing i use for mock up, put it on the adapter and checked it all out. This adapter space puts the trans where it needs to be now in relation to the engine and in the truck---as i am also using the trucks stock mount and crossmember--witch then puts the shifter in the right spot.

The reason for using the Mopar trans was for a couple reasons.

I can hook my driveshaft and speedo up easily, and i can also swap in a regular Mopar non-OD 4-speed when i really want to thrash on it at the track. And as mentioned abouve, the shifter ends up where i need it--in the stock location---but this was all by chance of course.....

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289

Last edited by 383Ram; 05-29-2010 at 06:18 PM.
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote