View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Ok Guys I Need Some Electrical Help On 67 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68Chevy View Post
Is this a 1967 with a factory gauge cluster?? If so I thought all the oil press. gauges were mechanical and should not be effected by the turn signals. If it is an electrical gauge then it could be related to the eleictrical problem. Like '68OrangeSunshine stated it could be in the switch but to me it sounds like a ground problem. Have you tried grounding the cluster? Remember the battery grounds to the engine and the electrical grounds to the body so make sure you have a good ground between the body and engine. If the ground at the item is good it still can not make it back to the battery if any other connections are bad.

I did not know what year they changed it but I had a 1949 GMC that was normal for the front parking lights to go out when the headlights were turned on. I also worked on a 1964 Chevy truck that did the same thing. Back then they thought if the headlights were on the parking light were not needed.
On the '68 model year, to meet fed safety regs, the lighting was changed so the parking lights stayed on with the headlights. Also that year, side marker reflectors became standard. In later years they became side running lights. I think it was optional in '69 and '70 and wired-up side markers were standard in '71.
Back to the main issue, good grounds are essential. I run an old battery cable from the block to the frame and another jumper from the frame rail to the radiator wall.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote