View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #15
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Holley Carb kicking my tailpipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermz01 View Post
Interesting observation...
Tried the idle to part load shift while the engine was running... carefully watching the pump shooter. nothing, to a very small dribble, occurs when you start to tip in (engine stumbles - lean condition my guess since it's not fueling)... at a certain point the pump shooter beings to spray like expected...
Not really sure what this info is really saying but this thread is getting all over the place. You said you have "stock ignition". Have you first checked your initial timing? Does this thing have points? HEI?

Quit changing your 30cc diaphragm! It's not the problem. If your accel circut it adjusted right you should be able to tap on the 3/8th nut on the bolt of your pump arm and get fuel to start to dribble out the shooter. Please first make sure that you can tap (or lightly push) on the pump arm and make gas come out the shooter.

Are we working on an 1850/80457? When you changed the power valve, does this carb have the trans tube between the metering block and the main body (this would be an older carb)? Is the correct metering block gasket being used? I've seen carbs come in where they picked the gasket for the trans tube type and put it on the newer block design. When you hit the gas, the pump shot washes into the power valve recessed area of the main body and not into the channel.

It seems that the things you are chasing are more for "fine" tuning and you have a bigger, basic problem going on. Where are you setting the primary shaft? It should lay about .020 on the trans slots which will make the slot look like a square. Will be as long as wide. Is your spacer a 4 hole or an open? Is the old intake a Torker? If the spacer is a 4 hole, it will actually help your situation. An open will add to the plenum problem which is already weakening the signal to the carb which is why they are 2,500+ rpm starting point intakes.

I really think you might want to take just a second to rest on the carb and really make sure everything else is up to par. Throw a light on this thing and make sure you are not at 4* 6* etc for initial timing. You should really be at 14*, 16* or higher.

Depending on how clean or dirty this carb is, just check your air bleeds to make sure they are not packed with dirt or a turd is stuck in the high speeds (the inside ones).
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote