View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
ranger374

Re: Replacing Manual Trans for TH350 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iehotrod View Post
Hi Folks, I need Help from the seansoned C10 builders.

I bought a 63 c10 long bed with a 6 inline motor and no trans. They have removed the 3spd. cross member and the clutch pedal. Also they intalled an nice chrome steering colunm for an automatic.

So I have purchased a th350 installed it and used a 72 c10 crossmember. It appears the E-brake crossmember and cables will have to be removed in order to us my 72 C10 trans crossmember or any crossmember period.

I have a short 2 piece drive shaft but yoke only goes in about 2 inches. So I took the off a 72 c10 long bed drive shaft and it is two long maybe 6" to long.
So what do you do for a driveshaft? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding replacement?

Is there a 1 piece I can use with out having it custom made? Maybe from another make or model? Has anyone encountered ? what did you do?
ok -- on the crossmember, if you have access to a welder and some metal, you can cut the stock crossmember, or "notch" it lower to clear the tranny. I plan on doing that with mine. now i am instaalling a 4 speed, so i don't know where my rear tranny mount is going yet, but if need be, i will notch the brake controll low enough to fabricate another piece directly over it for the tranny to bolt to. hope that helped.

as far as the driveshaft, if i read your post correctly, you have a 1 pc from a longbed truck that is too long. I would try to find a local shop that sells big truck parts--they usually rebuild alternators and other stuff for dump trucks ect. if they do stuff like that, my bet is they have a guy there that can cut your shaft to the length you specify, and balance it (that's what i did with mine)--a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one.