View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: 7 inch Conversion Headlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
I'm by no means an expert on this, but every car or truck that the owner slapped some cheap-o HID replacement bulb into didn't work worth $h!t. The factory or aftermarket manufacturer sells their headlights with H4, H1, H7, etc....bulbs because the reflector and lens were [hopefully] designed to work with the light output of those particular lamps. Putting in an HID H4 replacement bulb will do nothing but make your lights look blue and annoy oncoming traffic with their horrible glare. If you want true HID performance lighting you need to look for a unit that is designed from the get-go for HID lamps. IMHO- projector (aka- ellipsoidial) headlights are precisely designed for this application. Below is an example of what I'm talking about. Can you pick up a set for $80? No way, more like $500-$600! So if you are serious about performance lighting you'll need to shell out some cash. If that's out of the budget- go get some nice Hella E-Code Halogen units and put them in with some Silverstar bulbs and the ever-necessary relay upgrade and you will have very good light output!
Thank you for this post! I couldn't agree more, save for one minor point: I would avoid Sylvania Silverstars, and opt instead for Osram Silverstars (an entirely different animal) or bulbs from Narva or Phillips.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote