View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #15
jocko

Re: disk vs drum pedal effort

MikeN, I have considered a hydro-boost - but since my goal was to be "less" futuristic looking if I decided to go with power brakes, the hydro-boost stuff (although smaller, which I like) kinda looked like "laser beams" next to my simple dual master if ya know what I mean. So I think that when I do the upgrade, I will go with a vac pwr booster. Thanks for posting - that is a great question and one I've been considering for some time.

Markeb01, thanks for the links, this brings up a BIG follow-up question I've had in the back of my mind (and part of the reason I asked this in the first place). If you look at both of the boosters you posted links to, I notice they have a significant standoff bracket from the firewall. It seems that most kits have this set-up. What I'd really like to do is have the least amount of standoff as humanly possible and get the booster very close to the firewall. I've seen the Capt's brackets and they do a nice job of that - but then I'm not sure how long to make the brake push rod from the pedal to the master, other than trial and error.

Here's a pic of one that looks like it was done using factory (i.e. chev from later years) and has minimal/no standoff from the firewall - I really like the looks of it and was wondering if I might be able to replicate this setup - I imagine it would be a "piece it together" affair since all kits I've ever seen have a pretty big standoff bracket.

Anyone know why most kits have this big standoff from the firewall? Is it just to avoid other stuff on the firewall (like ballast resistor, etc)??

Thanks for all the posts, this is helpful.
jocko
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 02-02-2011 at 01:40 AM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote