View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
brap999

Doing the T5 Transmission swap, a few questions

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. Bought a '63 C10 (230 l6 with the 3 speed trans) a little over a month ago and just picked up a T5 out of a '86 Firebird with the V8

I've read the many how to's on doing this swap so I don't want to repeat the same questions, but there are a few things that I haven't found answer to yet that maybe someone could clear up.

1) The t5 I bought at the salvage yard was from a '86 firebird v8. After looking up the Tag number on the transmission, it is reported as an '85 T5 ... no problem. So this should be a non-wc transmission, correct? One of the how-tos I read said the Non-wc transmission had the analog speedo output, but this one has electronic outputs, so is this trans a WC or Non-WC? It was my understanding that WC came out in '88 or so. That brings me to question 2 ...

2) One How-To said there is a $300 part you need to convert the electronic speedo output to analog. Another how-to said you can buy the analog output and swap it into the space where the electronic is. I'd imagine that is the cheaper option, but where do I find this analog part. I've been searching around and can't find it. Maybe I suck at googling ...

3) The yoke off the C10 drive shaft, will it fit the T5? I didn't see that mentioned in the write up. A guy down the street said I might need the Yoke off the Firebird, so now I'm confused.

4) In one of the photos from the How-To, the shifter shown was much taller than the stock one that comes out of the Camaro/Firebird. What brands/models provide taller shifters? I see a bunch that appear to be for the Camaro/Firebird, but I'd imagine those will be too short. I have bucket seats in my truck, so I'm not worried about bench seat clearance issues.

5) What other drive shafts from trucks can i used for this combination to cut short? I rather not cut and shorten my stock drive shaft, just in case one day I feel the need to put back in the 3 speed.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. The How-To's on this site are excellent and answered 95% of my questions, it's just these 5 that I'm not sure of.

Last edited by brap999; 03-28-2011 at 04:13 PM.
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote