View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #55
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Re: 69 Custom 30 wrecker restoration

I scored a set of (6) newer non split wheels with very good tires at a local junkyard recently. The 4 back ones are like new and all match each other. The 2 fronts are very similar to the rears and in good condition. They are all Firestone truck radials. Sure beats paying for new tires! I'm giving the wheels the POR treatment and after that, will be shining up the tires and they'll be sharp looking! I'll have all of these rebalanced for good measure. Here's a before and after shot.

Looked like hell when I got them but second pic shows one cleaned up with 2 coats of POR 15. At $25 a piece, I wasn't complaining.

One thing I'd like to mention is the thing I found most irritating about this build. It's actually getting all the parts! Between comparison shopping to get the best deals, back orders, high shipping costs and some parts just being difficult to locate, it has to be the worst part of this build. I'm still trying to get a new inner cowl panel.

I've searched all over and found this item ranges from $195 to $315! Add UPS oversize III or truck shipping on to that and it's a real expensive PITA! Why some vendors can ship UPS and others insist on truck shipping is a mystery to me. And why is there such a price difference? The word GOUGE comes to mind. ?? I've even been to a big local car show in hopes of finding one but none of the vendors had any.

Luckily, that piece isn't really needed right now so I have time. I believe I have about 99.8% of all the parts needed now. The only thing I can think of that I still need yet will be some 1/8 inch sheetmetal for some box repair, a new windshield and a gallon of 514 red paint! (actually it's red/orange IMO)

Still haven't found anyone local that can fix my bent driveshaft. Just another one of those troublesome items. Trying to find one is a junkyard is impossible! When you are lucky enough to find a 1 ton, they already picked it up with the loader which bends driveshafts immediately (which is why I need one in the first place!)

Staying positive, focused and continuing forward bit by bit. I've learned very quickly that doing a full restoration is alot like eating an elephant, you have to take it one bite at a time.
Attached Images

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote