View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #30
DANTIP

Re: A Sad Story About a 1971 Chevy Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Hopefully they catch the lowlife who stole the truck. Hope you can get some compensation or something.

For the couple guys that said verify the VIN, how exactly do you know your "verification" is effective? Is there a national database of stolen vehicle VIN's that any cop can check? Or is it state by state? if state by state, you would have to verify with all 50 to know for sure?
My only area of expertise would be making sure the cab, SPID, VIN-tag attachment, and frame are original/matching. Certainly, someone could go to great lengths cutting, welding, and painting parts together and make a truck appear authentic, but I feel pretty confident I (and many other board members) can ID most mis-matched parts.

As someone else mentioned, the police/license branch will determine if the VIN/vehicle is able to be registered (not stolen).

I know people that change frames, cabs, etc. and it always makes me concerned. I would avoid owning a truck I knew was assembled from donor parts with different VIN markings.

After hearing this story, it sounds possible for someone to register a truck in their name, sell the frame to someone that is restoring a truck, wait until it's restored, report the truck stolen, and have the restored truck given back to them. Sounds far fetched, but not that different from this story.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote