View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #25
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: Inexpensive air driers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Here it is guys. Its a dorm fridge with a 5 gallon bucket of water inside, and 20 feet of copper tubing coiled inside of the bucket of water. The cold water cools the air line so that the water vapor can condense and be caught by the water trap on the outside of the fridge. I've got it connected with quick disconects so I can move it if I need to. Works great! I haven't had any problems with contamination since I started using it.

That Thing Rocks!!
Me thinks it would be a great FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchFlyer View Post
I think there is something that has been overlooked. Is the compressor really up to the task of all that blasting? If you are running the snot out of the compressor, it is going to make HOT-WET air. Fixing the wet part can be done but you may find yourself still with other problems (burnt valves, worn rings). A properly sized compressor with a factory aftercooler will deliver near ambient dew point air all day long.

The most effective band-aid (outside of a refridgerated unit bought or home-brewed) would be described below.
1 flex line out of the compressor.
2 to a copper line as far down the wall as you can at a slight downward incline.
3 mount your current moisture trap filter down at the end of the run in step 2.
4 option Motorguard M-60 or Wix aquacheck both less that $100
5 your current regulator and what ever piping or hoses you want.

That's just my .02
Your posts are more than .02 worth...thanks!
Your later post helps explain the dynamics well
and thanks for that too.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote