Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 02:55 AM   #16
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickid demon View Post
This thread has gotten huge. Thank you Rob and everyone here for there Q&A. I have started my front suspension, got it set up in the computer but my next step is to actually weld my suicide mission suspension together. My question is when building the chassis. Should I build my main rails with Dom tubing are just do box tubing? All inner structure will be done in Dom tubing, just wanting to know the best route. Any input will be great. The box tubing will be easier to build off of. But the round I can bend my self so it can flow better, basically look pretty. The Tubing will be more involved to. Is there advantage going with DOM verses box? Thanks again
Good questions. Most would use box tubing. Like 2x6, 2x5, or 2x4. Using all round is more work, and must be more carefully thought out to be a success. I built 10 chassis in '05-'07 on a double stacked, round tube platform. The most notable of these was under a copper and black 56 F-100 for Ford's 50th anniversary of the 56 ford. I used 1 3/4", .120 wall for most of the construction on these chassis. I have to say they drove really nice. Due the the build time, appx 160 hrs, they were expensive, and I promised to only build 10. So, I doubt I will build any more any time soon. They are however, a testament to your fab skills, and set you apart from the rest. If this is for an early truck, tahe advantage of ALL of the space under the body, make the chassis as big as you can.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote