Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
wickid demon

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Good questions. Most would use box tubing. Like 2x6, 2x5, or 2x4. Using all round is more work, and must be more carefully thought out to be a success. I built 10 chassis in '05-'07 on a double stacked, round tube platform. The most notable of these was under a copper and black 56 F-100 for Ford's 50th anniversary of the 56 ford. I used 1 3/4", .120 wall for most of the construction on these chassis. I have to say they drove really nice. Due the the build time, appx 160 hrs, they were expensive, and I promised to only build 10. So, I doubt I will build any more any time soon. They are however, a testament to your fab skills, and set you apart from the rest. If this is for an early truck, tahe advantage of ALL of the space under the body, make the chassis as big as you can.
My plans are to use 1 ¾ for the main rails, double stacked & plated in between the lower rail and upper rail, or is the plating not really needed? The lower rail will be used to pick up the lower control arm and upper rail will be used to pick up the upper control arm and of a course all need internal Skelton to give it rigidity. When you say “make the chassis as big as you can” do you mean the gaping between upper and lower rails, basically making it a 2X10 like one of your chassis or the width of the truck? I planned on making the gaping around 2.5 in which would give me a 2X6 rail and bending the rails out to the outer edge of the rockers. Rob thanks for the advice it helps out tremendously. Would you do IRS or just go with straight axle? I’m really trying to make my truck the best that I can.
wickid demon is offline   Reply With Quote