View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 05:31 AM   #31
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally posted by 1970cstblazer
Is the hardware from a Suburban the same?
Well, not exactly. The Liftgate on a sub has similar side latches. Because the action is all in the bottom, the sub left latches almost match the K/5 right latches. There is more of a flare on the sub latch and the mounting holes are about 1/4" off. Also my '71 K/5 latch has only 3 mounting holes not 4 like the sub and some '69 K/5s. With a grinder, a drill and rattail file -- I made one work. I was able to use a '67 sub's tailgate drvr side latch on my Jimmy's pass side hatch by making the above mods. [I had swapped a '68 tailgate onto my '67 K/10 sub, so I had one lying around.] It worked for almost a year until the little spring that's wrapped around the inside --causes the catch to retract when released-- broke from stress/metal fatigue, and I was back into "Quest for Guts" mode.
Also the sub's relay rods are slightly different -- don't ever mix them up: BTDT. The Sub uses a pushbutton w/ locking cylinder to release the hatch which is lifted by a handle. No T-handle. And the suburban's tailgate support [drop] links are longer than the Fleetside/ K/5's, but identical in design.
I'll have to measure if the Sub's hatch support sliders are the same size and type as K/5s. I know the '67s don't have the locking catch that my '71 does.
Because suburban/carryalls of this vintage are even more rare than K/5s it's not a good bet time-wise on your guts hunt.
HTH
(the user formerly known as BluThndr71Jmmy)

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-28-2003 at 05:38 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote