View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #395
special-K
Special Order

Re: Whose on Steelies? Post 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Ralley's would not be considered 'steelies'; they would be ralleys.
EDIT: I meant to quote Gokart's question about rallyes being stock and elaborate on Scoti's explanation (but,I ain't retyping all that!)

When we say "stock" center wheels we mean wheels that take hub caps that were not meant to be exposed completely. Prior to '67 they were just wheels. Then came rallye wheels on sport optioned cars. And,yes,the first car rallyes had hub caps but were a new concept and are referred to as center caps...just like all the ones that show lugs. Prior to '67 even Vettes had the same type of wheels as trucks,ChevyIIs,Corvairs,Chevelles,Impalas...Ford,Dodge,Rambler...they were just wheels. Once styled wheels came about folks started referring to traditional wheels,or stock as opposed to aftermarket mags,as steelies. They are the only wheel that had no name. There was a time when you had to buy mags and put them on if you wanted your vehicle to look hot. Mags were first used on competition cars only,then guys started putting them on their street vehicles. Before that,there were some aftermarket designs,like Baby Moons or a few types of wheel covers. The first form of personalizing the wheels on a vehicle was swapping a popular wheel cover from another vehicle,Like Lancer or Fiesta. On Ford hot rods a popular swap was '53 F100 hub caps.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote