View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #714
69gmcc10

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Nice write up Bruce! I couldn’t agree with you more on mechanical timing curves and knowing where you really are. There is allot of discussion and debate about this subject and through all of my searching this is the most correct and precise explanation I have read.

To find the total mechanical advance on my HEI transplant I measured the total circumference of the balancer and multiplied by .094 to find the distance from the notch on the balancer to where 34* is located and marked it with a sharpie. Then with my lovely assistant (wife) I had her hold the rpms at 2800, where it is completely advanced, and aligned the sharpie mark I made on the balancer to 0 degrees.

I had to do this twice because the springs in the first advance kit I bought (Accel) weren’t consistent in the advance and after about 1000 miles the springs weakened and the advance was kicking in during idle. I also found that the weights in the Accel kit would not allow the distributor advance all the way. I have since bought the Crane kit and that is one quality kit, great springs and the stock weights work just fine.

I can’t wait to read your write-up on vacuum canisters. Keep up the great posts!
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote