View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #102
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Here’s a simple method I came up with to reinstall the springs without scratching the paint. The first thing needed is a solid anchor to pull against. My “clean bench” is bolted to the wall studs on two levels, and the bench is assembled with bolts, so I knew it was up to the task.

I clamped a piece of steel tubing to the spring support projecting forward a few feet in front of the truck to assist in lining the truck up with the bench leg (sorry no picture). I parked the truck aiming the tubing just inboard of the bench leg, so the spring would not be dragged against the anchor support on the fender panel.

I hooked the spring to the hinge arm, and used an industrial S hook on the other end to provide more flexibility to the ratchet strap hook. The ratchet strap pulled the spring into position, and a squeeze clamp was used to press it into the slot and hold it in position. Since releasing the ratchet tension cannot be controlled, I simply drove the truck forward a couple of inches until the strap relaxed on the inner fender, and that was it.

I also used this technique to remove the springs. And by pre-drilling front and rear alignment holes in the hinge mounting plates, they were reinstalled in exactly the same location using two 1/8” pilot bits. As a result no adjustment is required and there are no scars on the hinges or the mounting bolts.

I’ve also installed the springs by mounting the front bolt and pivoting the hinge into position, but this seemed much easier with no risk of scratching the paint.

To put all this in perspective, once again this is what the engine compartment started out looking like: