View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
wakeup

Re: My Possible Project (1990 Suburban)

I'll be able to do that when I get home in May. I've used that method before but I didn't even think about it. I may pull the diff cover anyway to change and check the condition fo the fluid. If I was the only one to drive it I would probably put a detroit in the rear while it was open, but my wife wouldn't be happy with the driving manners. And if she takes it to the mountains in the winter, with the possiblility of iced roads, I would rather her have an open diff. I'll put a selectable of some sort in it eventually, I just don't know enough about their reliability to chose what type (electric, air, cable, etc...).

By the way, does anyone reading this know about what the max rpm's these engines will turn is? I took a 600 mile road trip with it to pick up my k10 from florida. On the way to get the truck I was able to maintain about 85 mph without any isssues. My main reason was to see if the cooling system could keep up with the engine under stress at interstate speeds. It maintained about 200 to 210 degrees during those higher speeds. However, I think that was probably right at the top of the rpm range that the engine wanted. Anyway, that speed is what makes me think it has 3.42:1 or so in the rear. On the way back, with the k10 in tow, anything above 70 would start to bring the temp up. Didn't really want to tow faster than about 65 anyway, just brought it up to see how it would do. To be honest, I didn't even think it would have the power to break 70 with the other truck behind it. That's a lot of air to push, with the k10 lifted and on a trailer.

Last edited by wakeup; 03-09-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: prevent double post
wakeup is offline   Reply With Quote