View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #48
special-K
Special Order

Re: Special Economy Truck?

The 305s were,what,165HP? Was the competition's V8 really under 120? I built a Volkswagen engine with 1/2 again more hp than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The 82 was buit for economy when fuel had spiked to $1.60/ gallon from $0.80 . It had smaller pre-chambers, diffrerent injectors, and a different curve on the DB2. The rear gears were setup to keep the engine in its' sweet spot if you were careful.
Oh,I know all about the 6.2s from '82. I wasn't referring to your claim. It was the 32 MPG I don't believe. And,that's with an '87,not an '82. Mines an '85.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmech View Post
Sounds like the same kind of BS their trying to tell us now on the kind of mileage we can get out of a VOLT. Just make sure that you have a long extension cord that plugs into a Coal powered power plant.
I know a guy with a Volt and it most certainly gets incredible fuel sipping mileage. I agree you have to figure what these cars do to your electricity usage. It's less at the ump and more elsewhere. Not as green as they seem. What about the batteries when they go bad and it costs more than the car is worth. From what I understand the Prius is a disposable car due to the cost of a new battery package. I also heard the pant where they are built is an environmental hazzard.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-17-2012 at 11:04 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote