View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #42
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: I want to DD my '71 again

I'm kind of opposite. I have a 2007 Tahoe (and don't get me wrong, I love it), but I feel more comfortable in an old Chevy Truck for day to day driving. My wife drives the Tahoe and I *could* (if I wanted to) drive just about any car/truck/suv I wanted to...but, I live the old Chevy Trucks.

There's just something nostalgic about hopping into one and taking off down the road. Your 71 is beautiful! I applaud your decision to make it a DD. I have a '78 in my garage that I did a frame-off on a few years ago. I've spent so much money (and time) on it, that I can't bring myself to make it a DD.

Have a '72 (see sig) I'm working on now, to be my DD. AC has been my main priority. It's hotter than hell down here and I don't do well in the heat! Will be putting stock system back together next week and going back to R12.

Leaks. These plagued me on my 78 build. You think "it's all new stuff, and I already have leaks?" Chrome. If you have chromed covers of any type to seal up places where oil comes out, take the chrome cover off and use a die grinder with sanding wheel on the inside, and scuff the chrome up really good. I had to do this on a number of covers on my 78, to get it to seal good.

Valve covers. Had one cover that leaked in the rear and drove me nuts. Finally messed with it one day, determined to get it resolved. Turns out, the valve cover seats were deeper than the gasket. Ordered taller gaskets, problem solved.

Good luck! You have a beautiful base to work with. Take it one day at a time until you get the issues fixed. It will be worth it!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote