View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: A/C Compressor - Please help diagnose (lots of details for experts)

Wanted to update this thread on progress in case it may help someone else down the road.

We tightened up the belt, using a "man bar" (big pipe) for leverage. Added some belt dressing as well, just in case.

This stopped the maddening squealing.

I did add one more can of r12. Low side was at 30psi, high side was right at 205. This was in 90-95 degree ambient heat, with truck at 1500 idle.

Things started to cool, then started to heat up again. I have a heater shut-off valve (new), hooked up, but for some reason it was not engaging to prevent hot water into the core, so we were getting a mixture of cold/heat and the heat was winning.

To further hinder progress, once idle was back at normal, the squealing started again. I looked at the pressure, and the low side shot up to about 65, which isn't good. We were using hand signals and I gave the sign to cut off the AC immediately.

I'm thinking that I'm introducing air into the system when I'm adding the R12 and this is causing the compressor to struggle and squawk and variation in the pressures.

Since everything is together and there are no leaks, I think at this point I'm going to take it to a shop and have them pull a vacuum and add in the R12.

I'm not one to easily give into defeat, and I've learned a lot, but this is really the last step for the truck to be on the road (I've already been driving it some).

I appreciate everyone's advice and support.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote