View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #28
jeboblasto

Re: 67 c10 - aka "the heavy chevy" mk II

Well, the day finally arrived where i actually tried some real, actual mechanic type stuff. Original plan, replace upper control arm bushings, and ball joints on front. Do to some screw ups on my part ( mainly due to that let's be honest here ) i am doing the lower ball joints as well, and it's probably a good idea for sure. I am super broke still, and seems to be how things will be for maybe another year, but i am doing well enough i can start doing some truck work. I can see why people get under their truck and go hog wild and replace everything. I'd love to, but i will have to wait for that. I cut my brake hose as i was having trouble removing it, and it had a good sized gash in it. Lessons #1 - disconnect ball joints from spindle before disconnecting from control arm. The upper was giving me fits, so i chiseled the rivets, punched them out, and eventually got annoyed and angle grinder-ed the top part of the ball joint right off. It was sketchy at first, but turned out great, as my dad had loaned me the perfect tool to punch the ball joint out of the spindle. This was my more major screw up, and is all part of learning, i think. Lesson #2 - when you have more time than money, you are often forced to actually learn something, which makes you richer in some manner or other. Well, I'm stoked to be making slow headway at last. I'm rambling but kind of stoked. Also had to knock off the small spot weld on the upper control arm bushing in order to fully disassemble. May get my welding friend to redo it when the new ones in. Ciao for now. ps was going to put a few pics but it's not working right now, will try again.
jeboblasto is offline   Reply With Quote