View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #27
jhaymon

Re: 1972 K20 "Diamond in the Rough"

funny you should mention that..they make molding clip removal tools. i have an old set i got of the snap on truck. they're getting really old and are in pretty bad shape from constant use over the last 15 years, so i just ordered a new set from auto body toolmart. it is the OTC 11 piece trim tool kit #7457. it seemed to be the most complete kit i could find for the price(51bux). it should be in in a few days so ill give a review if you want it, but i have allot of OTC and ATD specialty sets and they do the job just fine.

since you're trying to save the trim, i highly recommend getting trim tools. it doesnt matter if you go to harbor freight and get the cheap swiss army knife looking trim thingy they sell for 5bux, it'll be worth every penny to not have to buy cheap after-market trim. i use a feeler gage to find each clip and pry around the clip. i always put a shim under the tools when prying(like a long file) so im prying on a bigger area. this keeps from putting dents in the sheet metal. anything you can get behind the clip, like the doors and front fenders, is better to cut the clip than pry it out.

you will more than likely put some slight dents in the trim, but it's easily fixed. in fact eastwood sells a real nice trim dolly and hammer set. i got it in last week and it's well worth the 50bux. in case you need a hammer and dolly set for bigger body work i also got they're 7 piece hammer and dolly set. ild put em up there with martin and streamline bumping tools.